General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:37:23
Print Post

Speed issues - can the upload be improved without FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi all

Ok so we have quite good download speed with Eclipse:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...
(and I suspect recently improved by cutting some large branches off a tree that threaten to snap our phone line)

But the upload still sucks big time. Eclipse say there is nothing that can be done other than moving to FTTC, but the estimates on my line are strange - you'd have thought that for what I believe is a good ADSL connection an estimate of 14.1mb download and 4mb upload on FTTC isn't very good - thats a slower download speed than ADSL!

So I don't really want to speed a lot of money on FTTC if my upload can be improved somehow - does anyone have any tips or should I seriously consider moving to fibre?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:46:35
Print Post

Re: Speed issues - can the upload be improved without FTTC

[re: knowley007] [link to this post]

The Openreach estimates represent worst case, so people generally get an awful lot better, call it expectation management, better to be estimate low and people be happy its faster.

You are on ADSL2+, only way to improve upload is

1. Bond two lines
or
2. Switch to a provider than offers Annex M on ADSL2+

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:54:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about Annex M? i..e what providers do it and is it less cost effective than FTTC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Oct-11 13:22:49
Print Post

Your current speed is affected by the distance from the exchange.

On FTTC it is only affected by the distance from the cabinet, therefore it has to be faster.

The estimate is garbage. What is the estimate on your line for ADSL2+?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-11 13:30:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

On the BT infinity website I put my phone number in and the following appears:
Faster Total Broadband - 14.3Mb
Faster BT Total Broadband Between 16.5Mb and 20.0Mb (Estimated speed: 18.5Mb)

On the eclipse website:
Fibre estimate comes back with the same 14.3Mbs download and with upload of 4.1Mbs
Broadband is identical to BT Total Broadband.

My router says: DownStream Connection Speed 19163 kbps and UpStream Connection Speed 903 kbps.

Edited by knowley007 (Tue 04-Oct-11 13:32:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Oct-11 14:05:34
Print Post

What does this checker say about the line as a whole. That's what I was after. (Paste the whole result please smile).

It does look as though they won't let you order Infinity though, only the under 15Mbps one. But you would still a higher download than now, but may be restricted to 2Mbps up.

Unless you go to one of the other providers, who will give you 10Mbps up as well.

There is something totally wrong with those estimates, as we all realise, given the current connection speeds.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-11 14:14:43
Print Post

Thanks RobertoS - bit new to all this as have been on ADSL with Eclipse since the wires only trial!

For Telephone Number 01628999999 on Exchange BURNHAM

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 16.5Mbps and 20Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 16.5Mbps and 20Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 14.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.1Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Oct-11 14:26:57
Print Post

frown
Clearly rubbish, as we expected.

You needn't worry about the downstream, it will be better than now. But if you want over 2Mbps upstream I don't think BT will give it you. (Though I could be wrong about that - maybe ask in the BT forum here).

Most other FTTC ISPs will give you the "up to 10Mbps" upload, but they tend to be expensive. See the spreadsheet I link to on that page..

Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-11 14:32:53
Print Post

I'd be pleased to double my normal 700kbps upload speed. Which seems possible using something called AnnexM?

Eclipse FTTC is something like £25 per month with 2MB upload, and you can pay an extra £5 per month to upgrade to upto 10MB upload. Download limits apply but only during the day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Oct-11 14:47:20
Print Post

Annex M is a little hit and miss, and you lose some downstream to gain upstream.

At best its 2.5Mbps upstream, http://www.bewholesale.co.uk/products/
Available on Be retail and through providers who sell their wholesale products.

To be honest FTTC is the best in terms of Mbps per pound spent.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to