General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 07-Oct-11 18:46:31
Print Post

Line attenuation changing...

[link to this post]

Over the past 3 years i've had a decreasing BB sync speed from 8128kbps (with 6db noise margin) to currently mid 5000's kbps (with 15db noise margin).

I had BT out about 18 months back to try and sort the problem out and nothing really got much better even though they moved me to another line between the green box and the exchange.

Anyway, currently looking at it again and i've noticed my line attenuation reported by my Netgear DG834GT sometimes changes when i reboot the router.
eg
When i've just been rebooting the router now the downstream changes between 34db and 35db wtih upstream between 19db and 21db.

I havent touched any internal wiring (NTE5 filtered faceplate with dedicated ADSL cable to the router).

Could the small changes of the line attenuation between router boots point to a potential physical line fault?
I'm with Zen but i doubt that matters.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 07-Oct-11 19:22:50
Print Post

Re: Line attenuation changing...

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by InQ:
Over the past 3 years i've had a decreasing BB sync speed from 8128kbps (with 6db noise margin) to currently mid 5000's kbps (with 15db noise margin).

I had BT out about 18 months back to try and sort the problem out and nothing really got much better even though they moved me to another line between the green box and the exchange.

Anyway, currently looking at it again and i've noticed my line attenuation reported by my Netgear DG834GT sometimes changes when i reboot the router.
eg
When i've just been rebooting the router now the downstream changes between 34db and 35db wtih upstream between 19db and 21db.

I havent touched any internal wiring (NTE5 filtered faceplate with dedicated ADSL cable to the router).

Could the small changes of the line attenuation between router boots point to a potential physical line fault?
I'm with Zen but i doubt that matters.
Whilst possible , it is unlikely ,more likely to be down to the temperature outside , but the increase in your SNR is certainly the cause of your slower speed that and BT wholesale DLM & IP/Bras profiling ask zen to get the target noise margin reset to 6db if there is no underlying reason why it is 15db,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 21:33:15
Print Post

Re: Line attenuation changing...

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

If by that you mean you rebooted your router several times in quick succession, that will make the system think the line is unstable, and will hike the noise margin for a long time, to reduce the speed and give reliability. In other words, that is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Apart from that, see the Anonymous reply smile. Talks a lot of sense.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to