General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User magpie
(learned) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:29:11
Print Post

Is it worth changing to BT?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm on virgin national ADSL and have found (on TBB) that my exchange is going to get FTTC by Autumn 2012. Apparently VM don't support FTTC so I am wondering if it might be better to migrate to eg BT prior to the FTTC so I can order FTTC as soon as it's enabled, rather than risking changing isp at the same time as ordering FTTC.

Additionally I am keen to retain a similar email address with a new isp, ie firstname.lastname@isp.com. Is there any way of checking that such an email address is actually available before migrating? (it isn't available on gmail for example)

Any advice/previous experience of this issue please?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:42:55
Print Post

Re: Is it worth changing to BT?

[re: magpie] [link to this post]

The dates given for FTTC are extremely unreliable. They just mean it is possible it will be done by then, but it isn't anywhere near being a likelihood. So I wouldn't think you need to plan on it yet. Unless you have other reasons for being unhappy with Virgin ADSL, which does have an atrocious reputation.

Who do you pay your line rental to?

As for your email address, for under £2 per month you can have your own domain with unlimited addresses, and it never changes when you migrate. See my page about it.

You might even find yoursurname.co.uk or yoursurname.me.uk is available - easily checked here, which is my current host, with impeccable support.

If your surname isn't available, you could just choose something you like.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User magpie
(learned) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:56:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for a prompt reply RobertoS.

I don't really have a crushing need to migrate, I have a long line and sync at 2000kbps and am obviously keen on Infinity-like speeds as there aren't many alternatives around here. TalkTalk LLU is available but I wouldn't really want to change as FTTC is "reasonably " near.
I pay line rental to BT still.
I'll certainly look at your page for a permanent email address, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User magpie
(learned) Thu 13-Oct-11 21:36:30
Print Post

Sadly, my ideal domain name isn't available, I'll have to think of another one.

I'm still interested to know if anyone has had a problem in migrating to an isp who supports FTTC and ordering FTTC at the same time, though. Although I may not move immediately I may decide to migrate within the next year if it's thought it would be best to do so.

Any suggestions welcome.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Oct-11 00:17:33
Print Post

[re: magpie] [link to this post]

My phone has always been with BT. My previous ISP was O2 LLU, and I migrated to IDNet FTTC in one step on 18 Feb. 30-minute job, no problems.

So that's a bigger jump than yours would be, as you are already connected to BT Wholesale kit in the exchange whereas I was connected to O2 kit. Though you may or may not need to be moved to different BT kit for FTTC, depending on exactly what you are connected to.

Many O2 and Be LLU users have gone straight to BT Infinity in the same way.

The procedure is no different to a normal migration, except the engineer visit to do the install is still necessary. That could very well change to user or ISP install by the end of 2012.

If your line rental was with someone other than BT and you wanted Infinity, then I would have recommended moving that first, nearer the time. That's why I asked about it in my first reply.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User magpie
(learned) Fri 14-Oct-11 09:07:29
Print Post

Thanks again, RobertoS, that helps me a lot. I'll probably sit tight until I see the new green cabs appear!
  Print Thread

Jump to