General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nourishment
(newbie) Sat 15-Oct-11 11:33:03
Print Post

Can I connect Infinity modem to home hub via homeplugs

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've got BT infinity so the modem part is plugged into the master socket and then connected to the home hub via an ethernet cable. I want to move the hub to another location and wondered if it's possible to perform this connection via homeplugs?

I tried it last night and the answer seems to be yes; I was able to connect to the internet via a wireless connection!

The problem comes though when I want us another homeplug to connect my pc to the internet as it can see the two homeplug adaptors already on the network and suspect it's trying to connect to the modem rather than the hub?

Has anyone got this setup working?

I really need to hub in another location as I'm fed up of all the wires around the master socket!

Edited by nourishment (Sat 15-Oct-11 11:34:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:27:02
Print Post

Re: Can I connect Infinity modem to home hub via homeplugs

[re: nourishment] [link to this post]

The problem is that if you have more than one computer or game box etc. connected, they all have to go through the router, is that is what maps them all onto the single incoming address.

What devices do you want to connect? It sounds like at least two, one wireless plus the PC you want wired, and the solution probably depends on how many others, what they are, and how they are to connect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User nourishment
(newbie) Sun 16-Oct-11 11:58:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have the following devices which I'd like to connect:

PS3 - homeplug
NAS - homeplug
PC - homeplug
3 laptops - wireless and homeplug (depending on where in the house they are
iPhone - wireless

Any help greatly appreciated!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Oct-11 12:13:38
Print Post

I'm afraid all those therefore have to connect through the router. So you have three options:-

1) Put the router somewhere where every device can connect wired or wirelessly to it, and feed it from the modem by a pair of HomePlugs;

2) Find a way of ethernet wiring the router in a place away from the modem then you can connect wired, wireless or by multiple HomePlugs to the router, which I assume you do at the moment with your ADSLx modem/router.

3) Get the master socket moved.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 16-Oct-11 23:00:02
Print Post

can you configure the Homeplugs to be in two "sets" perhaps by using different encryption ?

if so, then a pair would do the modem - router WAN port bit

other pair(s) the router LAN to client devices

all depends of two sets of homeplugs can run two separate LANs on the same mains wiring at the same time. No idea personally, without trying it.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Mon 17-Oct-11 00:03:56
Print Post

Best idea would be to somehow cover the wires up, e.g. with a phone stand or something. So much easier...

Otherwise run a longer ethernet cable from the modem to the homehub.

You could drill a hole into the room next door and site it there?

As you say, using 2 homeplugs, one connected to the homehub & another to the modem is causing issues.

You need to run it like, homehub - 2 ethernet connections. This way all of the devices default to the homehub.
  Print Thread

Jump to