General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-11 13:45:58
Print Post

Clarification on moving connections

[link to this post]

Have a situation where being told one thing by one company and one thing by another

Property A - Has Newnet
Property B - Has Orange

I would like to end up with Zen on property B and for Orange to go to property A with Newnet being removed.

I was told the only way possilbe to do this was to have a clear line at property A by terminating the Newnet conneciton in order to move the Orange connection over and leaving the line clear for Zen

Is this the only way to go or do MAC codes play a part here

Thanks

Once I instruct Orange to move their connection, this line will them be clear.

If you could advise best way forward that would be great.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Oct-11 14:03:24
Print Post

Re: Clarification on moving connections

[re: ironnapper] [link to this post]

Assuming you are still in a minimum term with Orange it looks right to me.

MACs are not required as no migration takes place. Just a House Move, if that's what Orange call it. (I assume it is Orange who have advised you. If not, you need to check they do house moves and if that is free or chargeable. Also whether or not it restarts the minimum term).

You are aware the Orange speed at Property A should be approximately the same as the Newnet? Not whatever it is at Property B.

You will almost certainly also get a Broadband Cease charge from Newnet, around £25. That is the Openreach charge for disconnecting existing broadband when there is no migration, and most ISPs pass it on. It will be in the Newnet T & Cs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Oct-11 14:04:42
Print Post

Which company told you that, and what did the other one, (which), say?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-11 14:50:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No terms attached to either really, well nothing long term.

Orange is terrible here but free, hoping it might work better at other property as it's LLU there.

Either way I don't use it at the other location so no point in having newnet if can have a free connection.

Orange said no charge for house move and would not lose the free package, hoping that's not duff info, they also said the line needed to be clear.

Spoke with Newnet and they said that was right and would need to cease at a charge of £42 inc VAT.

Zen thought there was a way of doing it without going down the cease route.

So I'm left wondering what really is the best way to set about this...and most cost effective ideally.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 14:57:16
Print Post

You could migrate the Newnet to a new Orange account at the address, i.e. use a MAC (of course would be new orange account/email)

Then migrate the existing orange to the provider of choice at that home.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-11 15:19:16
Print Post

Orange is terrible here but free, hoping it might work better at other property as it's LLU there.

Aren't all Orange BB offerings via BT Wholesale now ?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-11 15:40:45
Print Post

5.2.2 you may be required to reregister for those Service(s) and you may be required to commit to a new contract with a new Minimum Period;
Oh, and Orange no longer do LLU; they resell BTw 20CN IPStream or 21CN WBC, depending on your exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 18-Oct-11 15:43:07)

Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-11 15:49:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You could migrate the Newnet to a new Orange account at the address, i.e. use a MAC (of course would be new orange account/email)

Then migrate the existing orange to the provider of choice at that home.

That would mean losing the free deal would it not.

I think what needs to be answered is, is there any way to move an existing active connection from one address to another which already has an active connection.
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-11 15:51:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
5.2.2 you may be required to reregister for those Service(s) and you may be required to commit to a new contract with a new Minimum Period;
Oh, and Orange no longer do LLU; they resell BTw 20CN IPStream or 21CN WBC, depending on your exchange.

Orange said if I have the line clear and carry out a move the free connection would still be honoured.

They also took the number of the house and said it would be LLU so might work better for you.

I checked the exchange and it does mention LLU, well it did when I last looked but maybe that's out of date and Orange are experts at giving conflicting and duff info
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:12:10
Print Post

The free deal is a PURE orange notion, so it is down to them to say yes or no.

So if wanting to keep the free part, then the cease and home move is the way to go.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to