General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Oct-11 21:34:25
Print Post

Someone useing our 10GB allowance

[link to this post]

We have a 10GB usage on BT Home Zone yet BT are telling me that we have nearly used our allowance yet we dont down load or upload anything,Bt put us onto thinkbroadband.com and I can see download & upload while Im sat here!!!!!! can anyone help,as I suspect someone from outside is useing my wi-fi ? how can I stop this as my service is showing secure? help please !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 21:41:54
Print Post

Re: Someone useing our 10GB allowance

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you are referring to tbbmeter it would not actually be able to show the wifi usage and an easy solution if it is wifi

1. Change the encryption key for the wireless network
or
2. Turn the wireless off.

If you have tbbmeter running, then right click to get the menu open, pick Statistics/Alarms and then select View Sites Visited.

This page tracks where data is being uploaded to or downloaded from. Double click the host names cell to see what the host name is e.g. if you see 80.249.99.126 listed that will resolve to forums.thinkbroadband.com (i.e. us).

This gives you an idea of where, but not which application is causing constant traffic. To see that close the Sites Visited window. and under the Test Tools menu, select Record TCP for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds you will be asked where you want to save a CSV file.

CSV is comma seperated spreadsheet that can be opened by excel or open office, and this will list the actual application that is doing the data transfers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Oct-11 22:07:13
Print Post

Re: Someone useing our 10GB allowance

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_security.html
This will show how to set up security.
If you look in home hub. There should be something like * DHCP Client List^. This will indicate how many computers have logged into unit.
Note, the hub uses part of allowance even when not in use.
Assume the unit is encrypted
Suggest you change ssid of unit and disable so not visible.
Also change user name and password for unit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to