General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robin2000
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 11:40:35
Print Post

problem with AOL and BT broadband

[link to this post]

I hope someone can help. On the 19th September my AOL broadband connection stopped (it had previously worked for several years). I swapped to BT on the 4th October and seem to have the same problem. I'll spare you the long list of calls to the helpdesk, but here is my attempt at troubleshooting the problem:

3 openreach engineers have confirmed that the line and router is working
All engineers indicated that my account was being blocked
3rd engineer confirmed exchange ok
4 separate routers tried
All connected to main socket
Filters changed (about 4 tried so far)
AOL connection using netgear d6834gt error was LCP and CHAP authentification failure
BT Hub has power light blue, broadband light red which indicates a “broadband username or password failure” or connection failed PPP.
Can connect to BT startup domain - indicating broadband can connect via equipment and line
BT helpdesk have confirmed:
- BT Wholesale – apparently all ok
- My account is not blocked with BT (and never has been)
- Line has been reset
- BT hub settings correct.
BT hub reset several times per day after each attempted fix

The AOL and BT faults appear to be the same, i.e. whatever router I have fails to login despite haveing and active account and the line etc working. Is this possible? Does anyone know how to resolve because BT and AOL do not appear to be able to.

Thanks
Robin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 12:14:31
Print Post

Re: problem with AOL and BT broadband

[re: robin2000] [link to this post]

BT Retail as the current ISP has responsibility to fix the authentication issue.

Do you know someone who does not mind coming around and trying their BT username/password on your connection, easiest would be to bring their HomeHub around and plug it in.

If that works, then shows nothing wrong with line or exchange kit, and most likely something daft like a 0 or O being wrong in a username or password. It is not unknown when ordering for someone to type in something wrong, e.g. spelling of name which is not obvious when people read back usernames etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:33:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

..except that BT Broadband doesn't have separate user names and passwords for each customer. All the later modem/routers, 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 all use Hubuser@btbroadband.com with no password.

Sounds like the account needs to rebuilt on the the RAS, this is something an Openreach engineer should be asking BT Wholesale to check/do when they can see it authenticates to the default bt_test_user@startup_domain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 18:49:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

seeing a few of these of late, PPP session failure to each and all test logins and ISP logins.

Down to rebuilding VPs from exchange, apparently. Once you have done a dance, run a marathon, sung a song and built a shed you finally get an engineer appointment then you tell them on the mobile to not bother coming but to get the PPP session failure sorted and it's done in a jiffy.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User robin2000
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 08:26:52
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

To update, issue is now resolved. Apparently the domains on my account were set up incorrectly. If the helpdesk at your ISP cannot solve the problem (after several weeks I was starting to give up), emailing the CEO seems to bypass the helpdesk and get to a high level technical complaints (at least with BT). Solved within a day doing this, after 2 weeks of trying to solve with the standard helpdesk number.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 21:02:16
Print Post

[re: robin2000] [link to this post]

To update, issue is now resolved. Apparently the domains on my account were set up incorrectly.

Sounds like the account needs to rebuilt on the the RAS,

I thank you !!!!!! grin

Print Thread

Jump to