General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cosmicflame
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:22:49
Print Post

Will getting better broadband improve Ping and Latency?

[link to this post]

I know that latency and download speed and stuff are different.

But the ping is fine (normally 37ms) during non peak hours.

But when my brother comes home the ping will fluctuate from 70ms to 300ms depending on whether he's watching a video or something.

So will improving from 8mb to 20mb stop this fluctuation? I know that ping is how fast packets can go, but if I get a better broadband will that mean that more people can use the internet without the performance being effected?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:46:45
Print Post

Re: Will getting better broadband improve Ping and Latency?

[re: cosmicflame] [link to this post]

Depends on what actual line speed you have, e.g. if you get 1Mbps over the actual connection, a switch from an up to 8Meg to an up to 20Meg technology will make no difference.

If you get a connection 6 or more Meg, then it may help issues, unless the brother continues to fill the connection up with data.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Oct-11 14:11:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

is there a way to check the actual line speed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:17:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes the ADSL router you are using will display this in its web interface, and many providers in their customer portal show this data, some of them including historical information.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php shows how to get the connection data from most common hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-11 20:11:59
Print Post

[re: cosmicflame] [link to this post]

I would suggest some type of QoS option on your router. It won't keep your pings as low as when your brother isn't using the bandwidth but depending on how you had it setup it could bring you sub-100ms pings no matter what he's doing.

If you are able to get a faster connection however this will further alleviate problems + with your own QoS setup you will be able to game reasonably and have somebody watching youtube etc at the same time.

I personally have a custom built router so I can really detail in on what type of traffic goes where at what prioritization level if I wished. This may not be available on most commercial routers.

Edited by LeJimster (Sat 22-Oct-11 20:13:26)

Print Thread

Jump to