General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cosmicflame
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 20:42:59
Print Post

Will this help me improve Ping and Latency?Sorry forthe spam

[link to this post]

Ok, sorry for spamming the forums, it's just that it's so frustrating being with slow broadband and bad latency.

The situation is that in the morning and after latency is fine but whenever my brother uses the internet the ping goes up, and he's not downloading or uploading or anything, he's just surfing the web and watching videos.
Morning around 37 ms, evenings it fluctuates from 100ms to 400ms.

We currently have an up to 8mb service, though we're only getting 2mb download speeds. Apparently the low speed is due to some wiring problems in the house.

We're going to switch to virgin media, up to 30mb fibre optic cables.
Will this improve my latency and will it stop the ping from fluctuating whenever my brother uses the internet?

Heres how I see it:

Latency is how fast things can go through a cable.
Download Speed is how wide the cable is.

Our cable at the moment is very fast but very narrow.
If we get a bigger download speed, according to this analogy, we can fit more stuff into the cable, and more people can be using the internet without it being slowed down.

Is this true?

And although I may be asking for too much here, can someone estimate my latency and ping after switching from ASDL (up to 8mb) to fibre optic (up to 30mb)
Will it stop fluctuating as well?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 19-Oct-11 20:49:58
Print Post

Re: Will this help me improve Ping and Latency?Sorry forthe

[re: cosmicflame] [link to this post]

This was in the news earlier http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4824.html

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-11 08:24:31
Print Post

he's not downloading or uploading or anything, he's just surfing the web and watching videos

if these are online videos then he is indeed downloading something - even if it is a continuous download or stream while watching.

Ping times can fluctuate due to router CPU load - more traffic = more load = slower response and the ping packets may be prioritised behind the active traffic.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Sat 22-Oct-11 12:23:46
Print Post

I have myself, my son and my daughter all using the internet at the same time and i have used cFosSpeed for years now its great at keeping pings down when there is multiple users online at the same time.
Install it on all machines if you choose to use it.
  Print Thread

Jump to