General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ag1266
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 18:18:31
Print Post

A real head-scratcher...

[link to this post]

I'll try to keen this as short as possible...

Ongoing broadband problems for several months. Dropouts and slowdowns. Report to ISP (Talktalk - not through choice, they acquired previous ISP) They got BT out.

Engineer replaced wiring from pole to house and installed new Master socket. All other internal BT wiring disconnected. Problem hasn't gone away and there is no pattern to slowdowns/drops etc. Speedtest.net results from August on this page. That's when I've been able to run tests. Frequent timeouts and loss of connection over and above performance.

When a wired or wireless phone is connected to the master socket there is zero line noise. There is zero line noise whether or not a filter is connected, but as soon as a router is connected the line noise is terrible.

Things have now got untenable. Talktalk say line noise problem so I have to take it up with BT (although they were happy to deal with it in August).

Tried two different routers, including a brand new Netgear bought especially to try and resolve the issue which wasn't cheap frown Four different filters, two router -> socket cables, but still hellish line noise no matter what the combination yet as soon as router is disconnected the line is clear as a bell. There are no connected extensions or anything else plugged into Master socket.

I really don't want to have BT come out and say "It's yer kit guv" and charge me for the visit, but I can't see I've got any choice. Any suggestions before I go down that route?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-11 19:27:20
Print Post

Re: A real head-scratcher...

[re: ag1266] [link to this post]

It *sounds* like you have an HR fault on your line. Do TalkTalk also provide your voice service ? If so then it's up to them to sort out an engineer to fix it anyhow. Getting TT to send another broadband engineer out would be the surest way of having an engineer with equipment to diagnose your fault.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-11 21:15:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Agree with diagnosis, the bad joint is acting like a crystal radio and shifting the ADSL frequencies down to the point where you can here them

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ag1266
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 23:51:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. Not with TalkTalk for voice. Didn't even want them for broadband, but had no choice frown Feel a bit less likely to end up with a BT callout bill now so will call them in the morning. Have Googled HR fault and it seems its a very common occurence.
  Print Thread

Jump to