General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(learned) Thu 27-Oct-11 17:17:58
Print Post

Slow Page loads

[link to this post]

I just read the thread:Netgear DG834G V4 - websites taking longer to load, and I'm having a very similar problem.
My Netgear router is DG834Gv5 wired
F/Ware version V1. 6.01.34
ADSL F/ware version E.25.41.64A

My speed is fine, attenuation 50, noise 11, and I just tried using a new cable but no difference.
Websites are loading erratically. Sometimes they work quite quickly, other times not - I tried downloading Chrome, running without add-ons, and even downloaded IE9.

It's a 7 month old computer and router. Until around Oct 14th, everything was working perfectly. I had Windows updates set to inform only and my system restore for ssd C set at 12%.
Then at 2am on 13th as I shut down the computer, I was informed that updates were installing!
Sure enough, next day the windows update was set on auto, and my restore settings were changed too. I've put those settings back as they were, but I'm wondering if whatever changed those settings changed anything else that would cause web pages to load slowly at times ever since.
Then again, I'm wondering if the updates it installed caused any such problems.
(I usually only install one or two at a time to see if all is well).

Another thing I've noticed recently is when I do disk cleanup each night is that there's up to 70MB of temporary internet files to clear! Usually it's an amount in kb.

I have Windows 7 pro. and recently upgraded to Office 2010 (Oct 5th)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what is causing the slow loading of some pages.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-11 14:29:04
Print Post

Re: Slow Page loads

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
I just read the thread:Netgear DG834G V4 - websites taking longer to load, and I'm having a very similar problem.
Have you tried changing the DNS advice therein?
My speed is fine
But what is it? Post router stats AND speedtest taken close.
Another thing I've noticed recently is when I do disk cleanup each night is that there's up to 70MB of temporary internet files to clear! Usually it's an amount in kb.
You've still got your browser open. It doesn't clear temporary internet files until it closes, and then not always perfectly.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User TrishaH
(learned) Sat 29-Oct-11 00:41:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I haven't changed DNS - I don't know anything about changing settings etc with the router.

The stats:
down
Conn 4373
Atenn 50
Noise 11.5
up
Conn 946
Atenn 23.5
noise 12.5

Speedtest taken right after: Down 4.3 up 0.8

As for disk cleanup, I only run it just before closing the computer at night, and nothing else is open at that time.

I'm thinking it's nothing to do with the connection, but can't find what is causing it. Sometimes, pages load quickly, other times they take a long time or need refreshing.
I tried browsing without add-ons, using Chrome and even disabling my AV for a very short time, but nothing changed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sat 29-Oct-11 00:52:02
Print Post

Who is your isp?
my aunts is talktalk and her facebook keeps dropping out all the time her line is on a 1000Kbps bras profile youtube loads fine no buffering @360 or 240 but facebook and the games keep dropping out, i am going to make her switch to bt home bb soon
stuff talktalk! i used to be on them and did not like them then, so same now! if not worse!
1332 is her sync speed

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Sat 29-Oct-11 00:53:08)

Standard User TrishaH
(learned) Sat 29-Oct-11 01:27:57
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

TalkTalk now - was Pipex, then Tiscali, now TT. Full change over of account happens on Nov 7th. I've stayed with my old Pipex package as far as cost is concerned, and chose not to take a new contract for a cheaper TT package.
Everything has worked fine until around 14th Oct.

If I did change, I doubt it would be to BT though. I wondered about Zen, but would rather get this problem sorted instead of changing to a new ISP just yet.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sat 29-Oct-11 01:45:11
Print Post

yes but if you are having the same issues in a different location of the country, we are cornwall, and on the same isp network she was tiscali now talktalk, then i can probably say it is talktalk, and what about the high pings and slow throughput yesterday evening?
Forum regarding 28.10.2011

bt put a new line in for her thisweek and made sweet [censored] adams to the line speed! only to be expected because of the distance but i still want her to go to bt, more reliable on a market 1 exchange and can actually offer unmetered downloads! and a simple mouse click away for infinity when it is available!

i dispise talktalk (never again!)
and hate bt but they are the only provider to offer full nationwide service with unmetered usage, bt own nearly all the communications infrastructure in the uk what would we do without them?
oh and one more thing, my aunt uses opendns dns servers so not related to dns level either!

Standard User TrishaH
(learned) Sat 29-Oct-11 02:17:29
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Other than the erratic behaviour of web page loading, I had no problems with speed readings on 28th.
I'm NE. The exchange is Market 3.
Zen is available, but not LLU.
Exchange upgrade is due to be usable by March 3rd.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 01-Nov-11 12:47:13
Print Post

Hi All,

If any TalkTalk Customers are experiecing issues with slow speeds please feel free to join the TalkTalk Members Forum where we can provide full account and service support.

If you post your details in the Speed and Web browsing Section the OCEs can investigate further into the account and advise on resolution of the issues.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User TrishaH
(learned) Tue 01-Nov-11 13:05:34
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Thank you Mark - I can't join the forum as my account number is Pipex. So I've been unable to find anything out directly from TalkTalk. Hopefully I'll get some sort of different account number soon to enable me to use that forum.

My connection speed is OK again as you see, and yesterday I didn't have too many pages hesitant to load. Funnily enough the temp. internet files last night were down to 5MB, so there's a connection between slow loading pages and the volume of temp. internet files created by IE9. On Sunday they were 110MB!

So far today, it doesn't seem too bad either.I'm wondering if it's something to do with the changeover of Pipex to TT - whatever, I hope it does continue to settle back down to normal as the computer is an essential part of my work & being self employed, it's important.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Thu 03-Nov-11 14:19:57
Print Post

Hi,

Once the Billing account is migrated to the TalkTalk Billing systems we will be able to provide full account support via the Members Forum.

In the meantime I would advise you contact the Pipex teams (pipex calls are directed to a dedicated team within TT Group for any issues you may have) using the contact details on your bill.

You should receve a letter confirming the date your migration to TT systems will complete detailing what to expect on that day.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to