General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User happyharry
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 11:54:33
Print Post

BT Blocking sites and cancling account

[link to this post]

Just a quick question in relation to BT Blocking newsbin from all customers.

How does that work at a tems and condition side of things?

Does this then mean I can leave them should I wish to without being held to contract as I never signed up just to be blocked from certain sites.

Although I never uses the site in question?
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 28-Oct-11 12:02:23
Print Post

Re: BT Blocking sites and cancling account

[re: happyharry] [link to this post]

I suggest you read the terms and conditions as they stand just now, and when you signed up. If they mention anything about their CleanFeed technology, and reserving the right to block sites when requested by courts etc etc etc, then I don't think you'll be able to do much - as you agreed to that when entering into the contract.

If their TOS doesn't mention this, then I would say you potentially have grounds to leave, as they have altered the service you contracted into.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Fri 28-Oct-11 12:02:50)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-11 14:38:33
Print Post

Re: BT Blocking sites and canceling account

In reply to a post by happyharry:
How does that work at a terms and condition side of things?
All subjects are required to obey the law, beyond the T&Cs. It will count as an act outside their control in respect of any terms for cancelling.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-11 15:27:02
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Even if the original terms didn't state about cleanfeed I believe they have been using the system for a while and therefore would likely have altered the terms at some point with a deadline for people to opt out. If the OP didn't opt out within that deadline then they may be stuck with it.
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 28-Oct-11 19:13:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by happyharry:
Just a quick question in relation to BT Blocking newsbin from all customers.

How does that work at a tems and condition side of things?

Does this then mean I can leave them should I wish to without being held to contract as I never signed up just to be blocked from certain sites.

Although I never uses the site in question?

I think you are going to have trouble there.

This is just one piece taken from the T&C

Matters beyond our reasonable control

Sometimes we may not be able to do what we have agreed because of something beyond our reasonable control, which may include: lightning, flood, severe weather, fire, explosion, terrorist activities, anything done by Government or other competent authority, or industrial disputes. There may be other reasons too. In these cases, we do not accept responsibility for not providing you with your chosen communications services.

Changeing the Terms:
Sometimes we may need to make changes to our charges or the terms and conditions of a service which are outside of our control for example to meet legal, regulatory or financial requirements. If we need to make changes for these reasons, we will let you know as soon as we can, but we will not have to meet the timescales detailed in paragraph 50, and you will not be able to end any affected service early without charge.

This will be beyond BT's Control.

Now if they have announced a price increase for Broadband, apart from a VAT increase, then you are laughing.

tonym
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-11 19:29:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Anyone's T&Cs does not need to, nor will they, detail the specifics of any technologies underlying the services that they contract for.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Oct-11 15:46:03
Print Post

A court has said newzbin is used for accessing material in a non-legal manner, and you are duty bound to only use your connection for legal purposes, so getting out of contract due to newzbin is like complaining that you cannot access unlawful content anymore.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to