General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLE
(newbie) Mon 31-Oct-11 10:56:18
Print Post

What speeds should I be seeing...or am I been picky.

[link to this post]

Hi Guys, I am a long time reader of Think Broadband, but I have never posted before.

Just recently my line was enabled for ADSL2+, and I was orignally quoted the below as the projected speed by BT and by my ISP, Plusnet.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

All was going well within 10 day training period as I was seeing speed of around 15Mb.

6 days into the training period my router gave up the ghost, so i replaced the D-Link DSL-320B with a Draytek Vigor 120. This didn't cause any problems as my speed was still maintained at 15Mb. On day 7 we then had power issues, our circuit breakers kept tripping which we eventually traced to a faulty socket which was replaced immediatley. From this point on our speeds dropped to around 12Mb.

I contacted Plusnet about this and they indicated that the speed should return after 3 days of constant connectivity, but nothing happened. It would seems I have dropped a profile with no sign of it returning. Plusnet then suggested an SNR reset. This is now in day 9 and I have seen no signs of the speed increasing.

Here are my line stats from BT, Plusnet and the modem.

Draytek Vigor 120
ADSL2+ G.992.5
Up Speed: 1171805
Down Speed: 18812619
SNR Margin: 5
Loop Att: 23

IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
Plusnet Current line speed: 14 Mb

We plug directly into a filtered NTE5 faceplate.

Am I just been picky and should settle for the current speed, or shoud I be seeing faster speeds than I currently am. It's almost as though some kind of limit has been place on our line.

All my neigbours projected speeds are still 17Mb including those who live further away, although our now says 14Mb.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

TLE.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-11 11:20:17
Print Post

Re: What speeds should I be seeing...or am I been picky.

[re: TLE] [link to this post]

You're being picky.

(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-11 13:06:44
Print Post

BT's, and everyone else's, projected speeds are of your line connection speeds (sync) not your throughput and you are getting well over that.

Your issue is with the IP Ptofile; it should rise to about 16.5 Meg in tome.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Oct-11 16:39:09
Print Post

The IP Profile for your 18812619bps sync should be 16000kbps, not the 15000kbps showing. The time taken for the IP Profile to rise to 16000 is likely to be 3-5 days from the time you got the 18812619bps sync, as it isn't a large percentage increase. (See my IP Profile page). There is a newer IP Profile system being rolled out, but you appear to be still on the old one.

The Plusnet Current Line Speed is the copy Plusnet hold of the BT IP Profile. The two will normally be equal, but there are three possible reasons why yours is not showing 15000kbps:-

1) It takes a few hours for it to adjust when the BT version changes;
2) That auto-update fails quite often and Plusnet have to change it manually;
3) BT themselves have at least two copies of it, and according to Plusnet those can also get out of step. The one the speed test gives you I believe to be from the exchange DSLAM/MSAN, the other is held at the BRAS database. I have the feeling the PLusnet one is a copy of the BRAS version.

Needless to say, your measured throughput will always be below the lowest of the three.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TLE
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 10:52:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for the replys guys, I appreciate it.

Yes, I thought it should be on a slightly faster profile, I am now wondering if I have been put on a Banded Profile, as the connection has now been up and stable for 8 days with no re-syncs.

I will continue to monitor this..

Edited by TLE (Thu 03-Nov-11 10:54:27)

Print Thread

Jump to