General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scargman
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:35:47
Print Post

Cable Quandry

[link to this post]

BT says I can't get Virgin Cable and Virgin says I can. Does anyone know how I can definitively check?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:38:37
Print Post

Re: Cable Quandry

[re: scargman] [link to this post]

Virgin would be the definitive. If you want it, order it but don't cancel your existing until the order is confirmed. That way if Virgin change their mind you haven't lost anything.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:38:52
Print Post

Ignore BT as they have no control over it.

Talk to Virgin Media who know for sure, and if the property does not have it, but the street does, they send out a surveyor who will give the yes or no answer

Which package are you trying to get from Virgin?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scargman
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:43:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BB and 'phone XL, no TV. Have had slow BT broadband for 6 weeks now and I've been told today that it will take anither two weeks for someone to look at it as it is a RAIN (?) problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:46:07
Print Post

They mean REIN , Random Electrical Impulse Noise, or to you random noise that affects broadband frequencies.

This may be a cover though, got the stats from the actual router. Also as 6 weeks in, you are bound by the contract, unless they let you go

Virgin Media cable means a new bit cable coming into the property, and if neighbours have it, a good chance you can. If no-one in your street then no chance.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scargman
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:49:42
Print Post

I'm out of contract with BT; have had the problem with slow broadband for 6 weeks. Spent the first three weeks being asked to do the same tests over and over by a Techie every time I rang. They sent out an engineer who claimed to have solved the problem in week 4. In week six they sent out another engineer who couldn't fic the problem and we now have to wait for another fortnight for the REIN thing to be investigated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:54:10
Print Post

Does the problem coincide with an upgrade, i.e. they moved you from up to 8Meg to up to 24Meg service?

Stats are useful to post as we can advise, and sometimes the ADSL line is perfectly fine and problem is just congestion. ISP support staff as you've found tend to go around the same loop every time you call.

Standard User scargman
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:56:34
Print Post

No. We are on telephone broadband at the mo. So cross with BT that I'm looking at alternatives. Can get the same service but on 30MB cable for £5 cheaper. Just need to establish whether or not we have cable. Virgin says yes, BT says no. Am in a rural area so I a bit suspect of Virgin.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 14:00:54
Print Post

I know you are on telephone broadband now, what I mean is that to Virgin Cable you will need to have a new bit of cable installed, Virgin uses Coax cable, very different to phone cable.

Suspect Virgin Media may mean you can have their Virgin Media National product, and I would advise NOT to buy that.

Tell us the name of the village/town or look for yourself on the Virgin Media coverage filter at maps.thinkbroadband.com

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Nov-11 00:10:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by scargman:
BT says I can't get Virgin Cable
Why on earth would BT be making statements about Virgin? Who said it? A visiting engineer in passing? Or more formally on a Help Line? If the latter, you can have someones guts for garters smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to