General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 23:24:38
Print Post

Can the slow speed be increased ?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Hopefully i am in the right place and some one can help me.

My internet speed has been very slow for some time and my ISP seems to be proving a little difficult in sorting out this problem. apparently there is no faults on the line and the line is not capped.
Although the line is quite long at 58.5db the current speed is 572kbps and the noise margin is at around 24.4db. I am sure the speed could be alot higher than the current speed.

I have used the telnet programme and have found the following details.
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down UpSNR (dB): 24.4 6.0
Attn(dB): 58.5 31.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.0 12.6
Max(Kbps): 4028 840
Rate (Kbps): 572 839

I think if i am understanding it right is the max the line could do is 4028 but the current rate is 572 ? Is there a way to change the rate i could do myself or any settings that need changing ?

Hope these stats make sense to some one ! as i am no broadband expert, I would be very greatful for any help, im just getting desperate to find some way of getting the speed it should be.

Thanks
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Nov-11 23:27:39
Print Post

Re: Can the slow speed be increased ?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What ISP? Looks like a 21CN connection where the DLM has kicked your SNR up quite high, but would be worth you confirming.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 23:36:26
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi,

The ISP is a company called Firefly, and as far as i know the noise margin has been that high for some time, tried earlier in the year to sort it out but they seem to say it was at the best speed the line could do.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Nov-11 23:37:54
Print Post

From their site (at least, I think it is their site), they appear to use BT services, so a SNR reset might sort that out for you fairly quickly.

When you run a BT speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/ what are the results? (Don't use the beta).

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 23:45:17
Print Post

Thanks for your help.

I have tried to use that before, but have always been unable to make it work as i have no idea what service id i need to use.

Im not sure if this helps, from the BT broadband availability checker:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Is a SNR reset something they would have to do ?

Thanks.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Nov-11 23:46:44
Print Post

You don't need to enter a service ID, just the phone number and username (might not ask for that though).

If it is indeed a BT line, a SNR reset takes a few seconds to action and restarts your training period.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 23:58:10
Print Post

OK thanks.

I havent tried it with the user name before, tried it with just the phone number but it didnt work, just came up with an error. The phone line is with BT.

Im trying to help a family member with this so i am not using that internet at the moment, so i will try the BT tester tomorrow and post up the details, and also try and request a SNR reset and hopefully they can start a DLM and sort the speed out.

Thanks

Karen
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Nov-11 00:37:08
Print Post

Firefly is probably reselling some other ISP's service. If you run the test at www.speedtest.net (don't do the scan it suggests), it shows the ISP, like this.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Nov-11 11:24:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I think your right, if I remember correctly sometime time ago it changed to Murphx.

Karen.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Nov-11 10:44:57
Print Post

What do those stats look like if you test in the NTE test jack ? It does look suspiciously like there is a cap on the line, essentially giving you a half meg service when it could clearly do more. If the ISP won't sort this, then it's time to vote with your feet and move to an ISP who will sort this out.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to