General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andyfr
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 14:09:32
Print Post

House move - Changing Broadband

[link to this post]

My father in law is due to move house soon and will need to change his broadband. We live 400 miles away and I normally sort out any IT problems remotely but this will be difficult due to him moving.

There are several problems arising from this:

1. At his current house he is connected to Virgin cable but this won't be available at the new address.
2. He wants to take his phone number with him.
3. The place he is moving to has broadband already on the line.

The main thing I'm trying to work out is what processes to go through to get him sorted out.

In the short term I think he would have to get a PAYG 3G dongle so he could get online and I could remote in.

Any advice gratefully received.

Andyfr
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Nov-11 14:57:41
Print Post

Re: House move - Changing Broadband

[re: andyfr] [link to this post]

Hi,
As the number is currently with VM then it will be unlikely he will be able to keep the number, as a number port from cable to WLR will be hard to achieve.

He will need to get the line re-started when he moves in, at this point there will be no broadband on the line as the current occupiers will (I assume) cancel their phone line.
Once the line is re-started he just needs to order broadband from whoever he prefers.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 07-Nov-11 15:24:18
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Hi,
As the number is currently with VM then it will be unlikely he will be able to keep the number, as a number port from cable to WLR will be hard to achieve.

It should not be hard, but how often do you hear that moving from VM to BT has proved to be near impossible?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyfr
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 15:48:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys!

It was originally a BT number which he transferred to Virgin so I don't know if that will help the situation.

Andyfr
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Nov-11 16:05:14
Print Post

[re: andyfr] [link to this post]

It would if you was getting the line put back to BT based at the same address, but getting a new line activated as a wlr3 line you would have trouble getting the number as the person putting in the phone line at the new address would not own the number so could not transfer it.
If you got the line back to BT based WLR3 at the existing address then moved it could be done (in most cases) but that makes the whole thing a pain and some loss of dsl not to mention contractual issues and time constraints etc.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 07-Nov-11 16:20:16
Print Post

If the number is important, or widely know then a little DSL downtime and a 3G modem could be suffered.

If the OP gets the right contact at BT, they will understand, recover the number (on a fixed length contract) and then move it to the new address with a new contract start date/duration so it could be 13 or 25 months rather than 12 or 24. The key is to get teh right person to deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Nov-11 18:29:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

One thing someone suggested, and depends on how important the number is, and support issues, port the number to a VoIP provider and then it can follow the voip phone around.

Easy enough to use/setup voip handsets and you could set it up and send to them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Nov-11 20:21:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Hi,
As the number is currently with VM then it will be unlikely he will be able to keep the number,

Nonsense. Virgin and BT have a number portability agreement. BT Retail will be able to sort this.

Standard User andyfr
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-11 22:04:14
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let him know to contact BT.

Andyfr
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-11 09:40:43
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

They do, but as normal you have not understood the requirement, he has vm now and going to move, no vm, were he is going so will have to go with bt based line, but the number is not a wlr number so you are saying he can move then get a new line installed bu wish to have a number from an different address owned by a different cp.
You need to check the details again before you give incorrect advise.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to