General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 11-Nov-11 09:34:36
Print Post

Don't bother wiring up your home

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15467740
Realising the high-speed wire-free dream

Imagine pulling up outside a petrol station and being able to instantly download an HD movie in less time than it takes to fill the car with fuel.

Or at home, wirelessly connecting together your TV, tablet, PC and mobile phone and being able to shunt around huge amounts of data between them without long waits.

A California laboratory has been testing a new technology that promises to turn these scenarios into reality.

It is called Wireless Gigabit - and the Santa Clara lab recently put so-called WiGig devices through their paces to check they were interoperable.

"The event was very successful. Participant companies were excited about their implementation of the WiGig specifications," Dr Ali Sadri, president of the Wireless Gigabit Alliance, told the BBC.

It is another step along the road for the high-speed wireless standard which was created in May 2009.

Edited by john2007 (Fri 11-Nov-11 09:35:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Nov-11 09:38:51
Print Post

Re: Don't bother wiring up your home

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Still a little way off, but has some hope for the future.

My quote about connectivity being good, but software not supporting things was not used, e.g. iTunes and XBox's dont talk even over ethernet these days. So it may not allow all devices to talk to each other, i.e. might not be the I can drop a clip from PC to any phone type set-up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 11-Nov-11 09:43:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I didn't get far enough into the article to notice you were quoted. blush

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Nov-11 12:07:08
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hmmm. Still depends on what other people are doing within the broadcast area. I'd generally rather go with wired myself. You're less likely to suffer contention in a straightforward point to point system smile

Still - it's short range so that ought to be a bit less of a problem - although 10 to 15 metres in the UK is still three maybe four houses smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Fri 11-Nov-11 12:08:28)

Print Thread

Jump to