General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hellish
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 13:03:03
Print Post

New phone line install mess up, what happens next?

[link to this post]

Hi, I had an eingineer around today to fit a second phone line. As he was in the process of fitting it the black cable broke, and he said he would be unable to fit the second pair.

He said the connection between the DP and the house would need to be fixed, I guess this means replacing this cable?

He said that I have to contact BT, which I have done. They have said to phone back on monday to find out what will happen next, and that external work will have to be carried out.

Will I be charged for this external work? Will I get a new gray cable fitted to my property, replacing my existing phone line in the process with new cable?

I am getting this phone line for BT infinity so now that order will be delayed until they replace the cable, not happy.
Standard User jinger
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 13:26:09
Print Post

Re: New phone line install mess up, what happens next?

[re: Hellish] [link to this post]

If the engineer broke the cable whilst trying to install your second line, you shouldn't be charged to get it fixed as it's his fault.

I don't see why you need to ring back Monday to arrange to get it fixed unless they hadn't received the engineer's report when you rang. May be worth ringing up again a bit later this afternoon and seeing if another Customer Service Rep can book the engineer for you?

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 11-Nov-11 14:46:41
Print Post

By black cable, do you mean the drop wire?

How did it break? It is not easy unless there is a problem with it - it contains 4 (from memory) steel wires to provide the strength and support and a tech breaking it is difficult to imagine unless it was faulty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hellish
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 15:32:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
By black cable, do you mean the drop wire?

How did it break? It is not easy unless there is a problem with it - it contains 4 (from memory) steel wires to provide the strength and support and a tech breaking it is difficult to imagine unless it was faulty.

Inside this wire are 4 wires, one of the 4 wires broke, it seems as if when it was originally cut there was a slight nick on that wire.

The property is around 25 years old.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Nov-11 19:07:26
Print Post

That is BS from the engineer, if the 2nd pair in the dropwire broke, then it's up to him/her to replace the span, there and then, unless there was a safety reason, hoist required). What if there had been no dropwire in place when he arrived, it would have been up to him to erect the span.

Sadly, sounds like the engineer was one of the contractors they have currently doing install tasks.

Poor show, ring up and kick off.

Standard User Hellish
(regular) Fri 11-Nov-11 19:48:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes it was a contractor, who didnt seem he knew what he was doing.

I have rung up BT who are now arranging a spotter to come along and check the line, they said either tuesday or wednesday... I now have no idea when exactly and said I would ring them on tuesday to find out the exact date. I've already been waiting for infinity over 3 week now, will be well over a month before I get it I think.

He also had broken the first pair, so I was left with no phone lines at all. Luckly he was able to strip the cable back and get enough on one of the wires to fix it.

When he first came he had forgotten his key to the cabinet so he had to do a 100 mile trip to get the key.....

Edited by Hellish (Fri 11-Nov-11 20:00:49)

Print Thread

Jump to