General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:19:16
Print Post

Bit unsure about how 21CN WBC will affect me (ADSL24)

[link to this post]

My exchange is due for 21CN WBC next year. My ISP is ADSL24. This is what I am not sure about-
1- Will my ISP move me across to WBC automatically or are their ADSL2 packages only available via their own provider and not WBC? (will the "max upto 8 meg" product I am on now be automatically superceded?)
2- Will a move to WBC ADSL2 be done automatically or will I have to request it?
3- ADSL 24 only list their own ADSL2 on their site, will they offer WBC?
4- they offer several "flavours of ADSL2, I have a long line that I only expect to get about 6 meg out of on ADSL2, what would the difference/point be of connecting to the upto 24 meg over the upto 12 meg?

Bit lost with it all at the minute!

Edited by chrimbow (Wed 16-Nov-11 13:20:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:59:30
Print Post

Re: Bit unsure about how 21CN WBC will affect me (ADSL24)

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

smile
You're a bit confused.

From what you say you are on one of their Standard "Home" packages? Note that they are "up to 24Mbps" if the exchange is WBC enabled. You may or may not have to request the transfer to WBC when available, so ask them sometime. Some ISPs do it automatically in phases, but a request can get it done quicker.

The 12Mbps one is LLU, I don't know which supplier but I would guess Be, which isn't available at your exchange.

You might find that their "Coming soon" bundled package on their Home Page is available once they bring it out.

Just as an aside, you are talking about ADSL2+. ADSL2 is a different thing altogether. But just to complicate matters, if you can get ADSL2+, then on long lines it can be slightly advantageous to force it to drop to ADSL2, which would also be available. That's a "suck it and see" at the time job though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Nov-11 14:00:05)

Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 14:05:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yes i have my "confused face" on smile

I am on Home30 at the moment, my confusion seems to lie with DSL2/LLU. I have sent them an email asking what happens when ADSL2/WNC becomes available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 22:16:51
Print Post

Your Exchange is presently scheduled to 'go live' with 21CN technology come June (says March on samknows lol) next year.

While 21CN & thus ASDL2+ services would then be available at your exchange it won't be immediately available on your line as BT roll-out the availability through the exchange - not all lines will have this when it reportedly available from any given exchange. Once ADSL2+ is available we are working with our suppliers to make this available; you should get a mail confirming that this is available once BT advise that it is possible to receive this on your line.

It is possible to leap-frog the standard roll-out but this would incur an additional cost (a one off fee) of £15. If this is acceptable, then please let us know and we will put this forward for you.

(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 23:15:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrimbow:
It is possible to leap-frog the standard roll-out but this would incur an additional cost (a one off fee) of £15. If this is acceptable, then please let us know and we will put this forward for you.
Which is what I said, but of course this only applies after the exchange is enabled. You can't leapfrog that tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 11-Dec-11 21:13:54
Print Post

Hi Crimbrow, I too am in Colwyn Bay area, LL29 postcode. Hope it makes a big difference.
My ISP is BT and they have - at last- removed the FUP so no restrictions.Hopefully no increase in price?!?
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sun 11-Dec-11 21:18:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You can already get Sky and TalkTalk LLU, wouldnt make much diffence to me at 48db attenuation though.

Jump to