General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Nov-11 05:29:43
Print Post

Quick question after revealing the Master Socket?

[link to this post]

My girlfriend moved into a new house as far as we are aware there is only one phone socket in the house.
We were having teething troubles with broadband so I dived in and removed the face plate and plugged the filter into the master (test) socket line stats improved YAY!

However I noticed that no wires were plugged into the removed face plate and 2 wires are left free unconnected to anything as they are incredibly short, is this ok? Is it because we only have the one phone socket.

It's a BT open reach/world labelled socket but the landlord is an electrician and has some hokey wiring in the property and I have a feeling he may have installed the phone as well.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Nov-11 08:28:54
Print Post

Re: Quick question after revealing the Master Socket?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If there are two wires free that originate in the incoming cable then probably nothing to worry about.

As for improved results after removing face plate with nothing attached, the chances are that it is a bad connection from test socket to face plate or face plate to filter. Check that all four sprung loaded contacts are down enough that they will bend when the plug is inserted. Then insert and remove the face plate several times and then the same with the filter into the face plate - it will remove and grime or corrosion.

Just for completeness can you host an image somewhere and post a link?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Nov-11 20:38:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hey thanks for your reply.

I did think it could be a fault I did as you suggested and got better results.

I was thinking of picking up an adsl nation filtered face plate are they recommended I checked and my socket will accept the faceplate.

I will host a pic it does just look like the two wire are off the main cable... So those two cables aren't likely to be a problem?

Also we contacted orange as we are currently capped at 2 meg router syncs at 8meg love the rural broadband lol... I mentioned IP profile they understood we rang later and were informed there was a fault on the line... Really hate support centres.

I will dig out my forum account details and come back here with router stats etc.
One thing I'd love to know we can get upto 8 meg but the Upstream is quite low in the 400 KBps/kbps (get that confused) an way that could be bumped up at all in anyones experience?

Years ago on Demon I had an 8 meg service with an upstream in the 800 KBps/kbps range.

Anyway thanks for reply.

Postal

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-11 20:46:20
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
we can get upto 8 meg but the Upstream is quite low in the 400 KBps/kbps (get that confused) an way that could be bumped up at all in anyone's experience?
As you are on the 8 Meg package you are probably on ADSL Max platform for which Up Sync is limited to 448 Kbps.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Nov-11 21:24:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah regarding upload that's what I thought well no biggie its quite nostalgic in away smile
I'll just have to pray for decent hosts lol.

Thanks for your reply

Postal
  Print Thread

Jump to