General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gandoss
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 12:59:34
Print Post

Help I cannot find Master Socket

[link to this post]

I have just moved into a house and I am having trouble locating which phone point is the master socket. The Broadband speed is terrible so I called SKY who told me to plug Router directly into master socket, i.e take off the face plate and find the direct line. They said they were getting fault on the line and hence slowed down the speed of broadband. They also stated it my responsibility if problem is with my network internally. Going mad as I can't prove anything at the moment. This is where I am struggling, all the plates are flat modern stainless steel with no indication as to which may be the BT line. I have done obvious thing and followed the line into house but it disappears. So I took off plate nearest to where it comes in, no joy. I have also taken off all plates in the house. I don't mind paying for someone to come and sort it out but not sure who I approach?

Is there a peice of kit that will determine where it is? I assume there must be master point?

Please help as driving me bonkers.
Thanks
Standard User Alex1M6
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 13:13:39
Print Post

Re: Help I cannot find Master Socket

[re: Gandoss] [link to this post]

It will look like this Picture
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Nov-11 13:35:44
Print Post

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

In theory, though that one is missing the common Openreach logo.

If a new property it may have http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/external_NTE... on the outside, and all the internal stuff is done by the builder (and of suspect quality sometimes)

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm adds a few words, in short no easy testing situation in this situation.

For the original poster, it is a case of a methodical approach and deduction, e.g. disconnecting parts to try and figure out what is happening. At the simplest level a photo of the back of one of the silver plates will help, and if it has three wires, one to pin 2, one to pin 3 and one to pin 5, lift out the one on pin 3 at all sockets this may improve speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Nov-11 18:22:04
Print Post

Well I would start at the socket nearest where the line comes in, do the wires at the back of this socket look the same?
It's a hard on when you say you loose the wires, I take it you can see where they enter the property, can you see them coming through the wall?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User ffox
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-11 19:27:37
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
It's a hard on when you say you loose the wires....
I wouldn't get that excited about it! wink

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Thu 17-Nov-11 19:31:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gandoss:
I have just moved into a house and I am having trouble locating which phone point is the master socket. The Broadband speed is terrible so I called SKY who told me to plug Router directly into master socket, i.e take off the face plate and find the direct line. They said they were getting fault on the line and hence slowed down the speed of broadband. They also stated it my responsibility if problem is with my network internally. Going mad as I can't prove anything at the moment. This is where I am struggling, all the plates are flat modern stainless steel with no indication as to which may be the BT line. I have done obvious thing and followed the line into house but it disappears. So I took off plate nearest to where it comes in, no joy. I have also taken off all plates in the house. I don't mind paying for someone to come and sort it out but not sure who I approach?Is there a peice of kit that will determine where it is? I assume there must be master point?

Please help as driving me bonkers.
Thanks

I live in quite an old house, and I did not have a master socket until recently, when BT OpenReach fitted me a filtered built-in one FOC. This was in response to an Orange request smile
Got to be fair, BT OpenReach are paying their 4th visit to my property tonight, this time "after hours", to check the peak time usage substantial speed reduction that we regularly experience. However, if this is all "a game" by BT & Orange, they may find that they have a very resourceful & experienced contestant on their handswink
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 00:07:36
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ffox:
I wouldn't get that excited about it! wink
Hehhhhhhhhhhhh! smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 00:15:50
Print Post

Is there an outside NTE as suggested by MrSaffron?

If not, then look inside the extensions again and compare them with the ones shown here. You are looking for the LJ 2/1A, which has the cylindrical capacitor at the top. I believe there are some even older than on that page, but that capacitor is the indicator of a master, wherever it is on the backplate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to