General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodynut
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:00:36
Print Post

Power supply outages and DLM

[link to this post]

Hi

First time posting & hope i'm in the correct area!

I am with Plusnet for my broadband supply.

My problem/question is this.......(and if my theory is wrong, I'm open to suggestions)

I have recently moved to a very rural area a few miles from my exchange so high speeds are not a problem - I just don't get high speed - simple!!
The problem seems to be with the power supply to the house - we keep getting "mini" power cuts, the lights will flicker for a few seconds and then everything is ok. I think the DLM is stepping in, thinking there is a problem with the broadband supply and throttling everything back to "next to useless" speed (is that possible?) this results in me having to phone Plusnet, they reset line and a couple of days later all is ok again, until the next mini power cut when the same thing happens again. It seems that the flickering lights happen every week or two and I have had 5 resets over the last 2 months.

Plusnet a very good at getting it going again but the novelty is wearing off for me now, I asked "could we just simply have the DLM thingy turned off ?????" This seems to have thrown them into confusion and I am unable to get an answer at the moment.

Could it be the flickering lights are being seen as power cuts?
Can DLM be switched off?

Any helpful ideas/suggestions would be great, thanks for reading
Standard User charles1
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:21:20
Print Post

Re: Power supply outages and DLM

[re: woodynut] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what effect these power problems would have on DLM, but if it was me I'd invest in a (small) UPS.

Something like this perhaps: APC UPS

---------------------------------------------------------------
O2 The All Rounder BQM Speedtest Pingtest
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:30:19
Print Post

Flickering lights are almost certainly the result of a power interruption. If it happens frequently, I would suggest you try to keep a log and talk to your power supply company. The flickering will reduce the life of lamps and other equipment.

As for your ADSL, yes the modem will loose power for a few 10s of milliseconds, drop sync, re-establish, drop, and so on.

Several of those and the DLM will note several losses of sync and thus reduce the speed to stop it occurring again. A small UPS will sort it, and if you use that as a supply for your PC too, that will continue working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodynut
(newbie) Mon 21-Nov-11 22:02:43
Print Post

Thank you, UPS on order!
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Nov-11 22:23:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodynut:
Thank you, UPS on order!

I wouldn't be without my UPS.

I have used one for years and it's saved me from a few power surges over that period of time not to mention power cuts.

Money well spent IMHO.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 00:34:27
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CurlyWhirly:
In reply to a post by woodynut:
Thank you, UPS on order!

I wouldn't be without my UPS.

I have used one for years and it's saved me from a few power surges over that period of time not to mention power cuts.

Money well spent IMHO.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 18:57:25
Print Post

Do you use perhaps apc surt10000xlt ? its a 10kva ups

surt10000xlt
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:25:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Overkill surely for a UPS!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:49:30
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Overkill surely for a UPS!
Well, I suppose he could run the house on that for a while - only 4.8 minutes at full load though.

Actually, that's a pet peeve about UPSes they always quote VA which is difficult to translate into watts without knowing power factors and never seem to bother with how long they can supply full load for. We often gets cuts lasting 30 mins - to keep even a modest machine running that long takes quite a meaty UPS.

I'll bet it's got some substantial cabling on the DC side, suspect that the battery's not 12v wink
  Print Thread

Jump to