General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Nov-11 23:00:10
Print Post

Quick question regarding IP profile. With orange broadband.

[link to this post]

Probably the wrong place to post but having issue with log ins within chrome.

These are our line stats

DSL Status: Showtime
DSL Mode: G.DMT
DSL Channel:
DSL Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 11.2 dB 22.0 dB
DSL Attenuation: 7.0 dB 4.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 11.8 dBm 12.2 dBm

A test earlier at speedtester.bt.com revealed this result.

Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

This is a new connection it has been up for 3-4 weeks we live rurally (sp) the best we can hope for is 8 meg we r on our exchanges doorstep. As far as I am aware there was no training period for the line it's been 2 meg all the way.

We have rung orange support the first person asked for speedtests eventually explained the results and we mention it appeared the line bandwidth may be capped at 2 meg due to IP profile he said ah ok rings a bell... then nothing.

Rung again and the person eventually said I will run a line test (of course after many, many pointless questions... at least it was a free call?), a few minutes later he says there's a fault with your line an engineer will resolve it in 48 hours. No mention of what or how the fault would affect us. He said work would be carried out at the exchange.

Can somebody lay out the simplest way we can attempt to get this resolved we are not even sure if we will see an improvement in line speed.

We did have issues with one of our landline phones on saturday but I think that was due to the handset needing charging :/

I must post this before tap 2 click drives me batty...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Nov-11 23:59:25
Print Post

Re: Quick question regarding IP profile. With orange broadba

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

As you suspect, a stuck IP Profile. There is nothing wrong with the line and it is a software control somewhere within the BT Wholesale system that needs a kick. It's a problem that used to occur frequently on initial transfer to a BT Wholesale connection, which you are now on, but these days it's quite rare.

You should have a 7150kbps IP Profile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 06:47:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well was on the phone to orange support for an hour yesterday.

We were raised to a level 2 support person.

Still no joy I get the impression level 2 just agree with everything you say.

They couldn't understand why we weren't getting more than 2 meg when '...orange are sending you upto 7.5 meg...' <-- their words.

It's been raised up to another support level/department but no idea what that means at al or whether they will contact us again.

But thanks for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-11 07:22:01
Print Post

Run the test at www.speedtester.bt.com the only detail you should need is your landline number. The results should clearly indicate that you have full 8128 sync but a stuck profile. Save the results, and use these as ammunition to hassle Orange to get BT Wholesale to fix it. If the worst comes to the worst, insist that they get an engineer sent out, who can get the profile reset themselves.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 09:43:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I had the evidence of numerous tests at speedtester.bt.com.

I knew exactly what the issue was when I rang but even at the 'level 2' support it was difficult to get them to understand that.

Well hopefully it will get resolved at some point.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Dec-11 16:09:53
Print Post

Quick update my partner rang orange to cance on Tuesdayl, we were put through to level 3 support he made a point of saying it was based in the UK *shock* after a few amusing comments and being sloshed around on hold we made it thru to level 3 support.
Explained the situation he said he would sort it said to expect improvement in 48 hours and gave us his extension and name.
We were away for 2 days and not 2 mins after walking through the door the phone rang... It was the guy from orange level 3 to ask if we had any improvement and to run a quick (lol) test on bt.speedtester.com .
We now have 7.5 Meg IP profile.
Thanks for suggestions in reply to this post.
Cheers

Postal
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:35:28
Print Post

smile
And it should have been so easy frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Dec-11 16:43:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yup should have been alot easier knew what the problem was before we 1st rang.
But trying to get through the sea of speedtests, router make, wireless or wired etc, etc, etc... each time we rang we were back to square one lol.
Do appreciate my partners idea of ringing to cancel smile

Postal.
  Print Thread

Jump to