General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 11:51:47
Print Post

Upgrade to 21CN

[link to this post]

Hi,
A bit of an obscure question when there is so much FTTC going on but is there a completion date for exchanges to be upgraded to 21CN?
I assume all UK exchanges will be upgraded?
Any information of what percentage of exchanges still have to be done, I guess the majority to be upgraded will be rural with less than 1000 premises served?

Thanks,
Jack
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Nov-11 12:36:50
Print Post

Re: Upgrade to 21CN

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

An exchange does not require 21CN to serve FTTC products, the fibre for the FTTC can be ran a mile or two further to another 21CN exchange.

21CN has gone on hold with respect to voice, and the WBC 21CN roll-out continues, no dead line for 100%, and BT is not talking of 100% anyway.

Ten years time, I suspect we will have less than the current 5,500 telephone exchanges, hence BT not rushing to do all exchanges now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-11 14:37:00
Print Post

Re: Upgrade to 21CN

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
An exchange does not require 21CN to serve FTTC products, the fibre for the FTTC can be ran a mile or two further to another 21CN exchange.
Or a dozen miles. Brackley is being served FTTC from Banbury which is nearly a dozen miles away.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Tue 22-Nov-11 14:37:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to