General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 19:51:07
Print Post

Broadband Cable

[link to this post]

Hi,

This may be asking the likes of how long is a piece of string but here goes...
I'm trying to get the most out of my 1-3mb broadband and was wondering as an extension what would be better, if at all any different.
10M Modem cable (from modem to micro filter)
or
10M phone cable (BT plug to socket)

Thanks

Tom
Standard User elevator
(regular) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:30:25
Print Post

Re: Broadband Cable

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Leave the router as close as possilbe and use a long ethernet cable

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:49:14
Print Post

If you have to use a cable then either, provided they are twisted pairs. Phone cables are often flat and you need to avoid those.

There will be little additional attenuation but being inside the house there is potential for additional noise to be picked up so the shorter the better and potting the modem adjacent to the socket would be the best option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 21:06:47
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

My little yellow icon on the left should have been a Question Mark, didn't realise until after I posted and didn't want to double post for that.

"Leave the router as close as possible and use a long ethernet cable"

Thanks for replying, was about to say I would have to run x4 long ethernet cables then though...got it now, I think,
*short modem cable to filter
*short extension cable to master socket
*long (10M) cat5e cable from modem to ethernet switch box type thing to my devices ?

One more question if I may.

I saw over a 1mb speed increase in changing from a "Z-350UK" ADSL FIlter to an older/double in size "DSL4132005" Filter
Does anyone think a "XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter" could make a similar difference or is that it for me now on the filter side of things

Thanks

Tom
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 21:18:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If you have to use a cable then either, provided they are twisted pairs. Phone cables are often flat and you need to avoid those.

There will be little additional attenuation but being inside the house there is potential for additional noise to be picked up so the shorter the better and potting the modem adjacent to the socket would be the best option.

Thanks, the flat type cable extension is what i'm currently using, found out last week after reading up that this cable is best avoided, so I want to replace it with something better to try not to lose as much of the 700kbps difference there is now from between the master socket and the extension.

Tom
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:24:19
Print Post

I think your other post has the right idea ... Router/Modem at the socket then a Cat5e/Ethernet cable to a small 8 port switch from where you can route to the various devices. Switches £10 to £20 and the investment will be worth it.

By using a twisted pair, you may recover 100 or 200 kbps but certainly not the 700kbps you loose. I would guess that the reason for that is local noise which twisted will partially mitigate but there will still be a loss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 21:47:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I think your other post has the right idea ... Router/Modem at the socket then a Cat5e/Ethernet cable to a small 8 port switch from where you can route to the various devices. Switches £10 to £20 and the investment will be worth it.

Thanks, will do it this way

By using a twisted pair, you may recover 100 or 200 kbps but certainly not the 700kbps you loose. I would guess that the reason for that is local noise which twisted will partially mitigate but there will still be a loss.

I do get a lot of noise on my line, changing the filter has helped down from a fluxuating 12-17db to a 8-9db which drops to 3db when the phone is in use and back up to 8-9db when not.
Im sure this will be ok once I remove the flat cable extension though as it did not occur when plugged directly into the master socket over the weekend

Tom
  Print Thread

Jump to