General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 10:23:37
Print Post

PS3 keeps getting kicked off...solutions?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have been using my PS3 at home on a wireless connection i am with Virgin Media on a 20mb connection and i see speeds on my PS3 usually are over at least 10mb.

I have not had problems in the past being able to play games freely not dependant on time of day or how many others are using the internet in my house.

the PS3 turns on fine, then it could go off after 2minutes up to about 15minutes and anything in between with error code 8002ad23...this is mainly down to weak signal (i have 100%) or ISP traffic...we have rung up on many occasions and they say it is fine and should work.

I have run some tests myself...wired connection...still disconnected...off-peak times...disconnected. reformatted. moved the ps3 to different locations. took away anything that could interfere wires etc.

The only way it has been working is when the main wired PC in the house has been switched off completely...is this down the the router? we have a 'D link dir-615'? or is it down the the wired PC taking to much of the bandwidth?
The PS3 also contiunes to work if the ps3 is switched on first whilst the main computer is off and then the main computer is switched on...

So i am very confused...any help would be great.

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Twitter: HySpeedBB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 13:23:05
Print Post

Re: PS3 keeps getting kicked off...solutions?

[re: HySpeedBroadband] [link to this post]

A PC switched on should not chew lots of bandwidth, unless some software is doing something.

WiFi is prone to interference, so best to use Ethernet if you can.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 15:32:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i've tried wired, it still does not work. Only way it works is to switch the main PC off.

Had some advice from the people in the office. He suggested turning the Upnp on if this is the right name? to allow sharing easier? failing that is there a way to set the router to send a certain amount to a signal device?

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 15:35:27
Print Post

UPnP should not be an issue, unless the PC is trying to grab the same ports.

Have you checked - IP address assignments, i.e. both machines are not trying to use same address?
What is actually accessing the internet on the PC, e.g. torrent client that starts automatically and eats all the upload bandwidth?

You can try turning off UPnP on the router, but may find some games moan. Have xbox, ps3, and three PCs all off the same router here and no issues, and no special bandwidth sharing goes on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:21:29
Print Post

not torrents...the PC sometimes plays MMORPG's which could cause a loss of bandwidth, but at 20mb/s I do not see this as the cause? do you think it could be due to upload rather than download?

Ill try some things tonight with the UPnP switching it on, on both the ps3 and the router. and then ill see if there is an issue with IP sharing.

Its only started happening as well so I am confused. might take the PS3 to a mates house and see if that works out. that can rule out if it is the PS3 at fault.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:27:42
Print Post

Upload is a lot more likely to be the issue than download.

20 Mbps of what too? Remember that not all connections connect at 20Meg and contention on links can slow things down even more.

(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:32:37
Print Post

When I check my PS3 connection it says I have around 10mb/s download and 300kb/s upload...is that too small for upload. that is hard to increase. It does happen more regularly at peak periods. when i am sure the contention increases.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:36:17
Print Post

More than enough for online gaming. The key is identifying what the PC is actually doing bandwidth wise, i.e. what applications run at boot up that actually use the upload and download.

e.g. does it have an online backup app that runs? MMO's are usually not too horrendous bandwidth wise once playing, unless you have one that is using P2P to distribute updates

Print Thread

Jump to