General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lancashirelass
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 15:28:43
Print Post

Changing ISP

[link to this post]

Hi, hope someone can help, my broadband isp is Orange (was Wanadoo when I signed up) and in my name. My husband wants us to chang isp to BT with a view to getting Infinity. As the telephone account is with BT and in his name he wonders will we still need a MAC code to migrate?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Nov-11 15:45:39
Print Post

Re: Changing ISP

[re: lancashirelass] [link to this post]

Yes, that's just when you need a MAC to migrate BB on a BT phone line.

Doubt if whose name has anything to with it. That's for signing up.

EDIT: Anyway cancelling w/out a MAC usually incurs charges; MACs don't. Use, by other ISP, of the MAC also triggers 14-day notice period with Orange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 28-Nov-11 15:51:46)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-11 20:12:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by lancashirelass:
Hi, hope someone can help, my broadband isp is Orange (was Wanadoo when I signed up) and in my name. My husband wants us to chang isp to BT with a view to getting Infinity. As the telephone account is with BT and in his name he wonders will we still need a MAC code to migrate?
Hi, the Orange links should help you with information on how to apply to for a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) from Orange home broadband when leaving their service.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/2...

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/2...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Nov-11 21:27:45
Print Post

As has been said, yes you need a MAC from Orange.

You can then sign up to BT Infinity on that phone number with either name, as all the MAC is for is to prove to Openreach, who do the swap, that the gaining ISP has the user's permission to take the broadband away from the losing one. I suggest it would be best in his name for if there are any future complications.

In this case, it shows BT has your permission to take it off Orange. Fuller explanation here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to