General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Tue 06-Dec-11 20:05:08
Print Post

thinkbroadband quality monitor

[link to this post]

Evening,

So I started this off last night, here is my graph on a mainly idle connection throughout the day whilst I was at work, ignore the spike around 12am as this was due to P2P traffic:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/bc4214d4669...

These random yellow spikes don't seem to cause me a problem when gaming, well that ive noticed anyway, the pingtest.net results also comes back fine:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/51987191.png

However I never used to get these random high ms yellow spikes when using my old Linksys WAG200G, im currently on a DGTeam 1018 Netgear DG834GT. Has anyone else seem similar results on Netgears routers and/or this firmware as this is the first Netgear router ive owned for years.

Dan

Edited by c0dec (Tue 06-Dec-11 20:05:39)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 06-Dec-11 21:26:19
Print Post

Re: thinkbroadband quality monitor

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

The 50 minute spikes ... I get those too and they can cause me problems - everything seems to freeze although some applications such as VOIP are unaffected - that suggests high priority packets such as VOIP or gaming get through.

It would be good to see a day when you do nothing - will it look similar to Spikes with no traffic. I hd nothing connected what so ever during that 24 hour period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User c0dec
(member) Tue 06-Dec-11 21:39:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That was a day of doing nothing on the line! This was left running whilst I was at work, minus the small part at 12AM. Very strange!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:12:03
Print Post

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

I believe it is something often seen on Netgear routers. Many reports of it by Be users where it doesn't occur with the Technicolor BeBoxes. (Edit - it's just been pointed out I got this the wrong way round, and on thinking back I agree I did. I got them when using the O2 box but not after I switched to Netgear).

None of them seem to report the problem MHC has, but maybe they just didn't notice.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 06-Dec-11 23:48:46)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Dec-11 23:23:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I believe it is something often seen on Netgear routers. Many reports of it by Be users where it doesn't occur with the Technicolor BeBoxes.

None of them seem to report the problem MHC has, but maybe they just didn't notice.
i be thinking that you got that the wrong way around the Technicolor /Thompson tg*** v**/be/o2 boxes are renowned for the comb effect on the quality meter, where as the netgear DG834 v4 does not do this as it unlike the junk Thompson/Technicolor routers that isp's throw at customers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:26:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If I look at a cluster of Be customers the comb effect is very obvious

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Dec-11 23:31:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If I look at a cluster of Be customers the comb effect is very obvious
because most of em use the supplied router (thompson tg***v* or re branded Technicolor equivalent ) which are slooow at responding to ICMP requests just one of several short comings , the netgear's do not usually display any spikes , my never has
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:49:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Oops! Yes, I believe you're right. I've edited the post.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Dec-11 23:51:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's the 585v7 et all that does it, not Netgear

I''m wondering if this is related or similar to the Be / O2 loss of routing issue or the Netgear DHCP issue

Be* Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to