General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-11 20:10:21
Print Post

Filtered ADSL faceplate v XF-1e microfilter off faceplate

[link to this post]

We still have a one phone socket BT faceplate (fairly old) in the hall and I've got an adslnation XF-1e microfilter connected to it.

I find the microfilter a bit unsightly and I was wondering how much of an impact installing a filtered ADSL faceplate, like the adslnation XTE-2005, would have on my connection speeds.

I must admit, I've only ever used the test socket once for checking my speed and on ADSL Max, it made hardly any difference.

I've just moved from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ (LLU).

Thanks.

GPRS on mobile phone to PC > 3G on mobile phone to PC> Wanadoo 1MB @ 2GB/month > Zen Internet 3MB @ 50GB/month
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-11 22:01:19
Print Post

Re: Filtered ADSL faceplate v XF-1e microfilter off faceplat

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

If you only have one telephone point in your house, then their is no difference.

You are right though, the faceplate filters look neater.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 09-Dec-11 10:51:44
Print Post

As suggest most likely no difference as regards speeds. I fitted one because of issues I had, (turned out nothing to do with in house problems) and it is much neater and gives you the option if you so wish of installing a dedicated ADSL line or if need be a dedicated phone line as I have.

No filters anywhere..great.smile

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Dec-11 11:31:37
Print Post

BT engineers, on a wild goose chase, replaced my standard NTE5 faceplate (no extensions) with a BT OR filtered one. It produced a shushing noise on voice. I had to reapply a dangly filter on the phone side to get rid of it, So much for it being less unsightly.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 09-Dec-11 13:19:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If you can hear a noise after they fitted that faceplate it means the filter side of the faceplate is dead.
Contact your provider and tell them that since they fitted that faceplate you can now hear noise
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Dec-11 13:34:31
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Of course I did that immediately. Orange, who commissioned the BT OR engs in the 1st place, refused to do anything and told me to get on to my voice supplier, BT. BT refused to do anything cuz it involved a BB filter told me to get on to my BB supplier.

Of course it was Orange's responsibility, but it was simplest to get out that loop by re-fitting the dangly filter smile.

EDIT: I have since had a visit from a BT eng. for a voice fault on another line who nicely gave me a standard NTE5 faceplate when I asked but wouldn't fit it as it was a diff line to the one he was called for. I haven't bothered to fit it yet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 09-Dec-11 13:39:17)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 09-Dec-11 15:23:05
Print Post

Half a megabit per second down stream adslmax throughput increase ( ~5.9Mbps v ~6.4Mbps - yet no difference in sync at 8128Mbps) when I use a Pressac plate compared to the filter/splitters supplied with my Plusnet branded TG585 v7's even when they are connected to the test socket.
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Dec-11 11:52:14
Print Post

All of the X series filters (XF-1e, XTE-2005, XTF-85) have the same circuit design so will largely perform the same. However fitting a filtered faceplate to the master socket and connecting any extensions to the filtered terminals on the back essentially isolates the extension wiring so that the extensions are not carrying the ADSL signal and therefore the potential for interference is reduced.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Tue 20-Dec-11 14:04:28
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

Going slightly off topic here but keen to get some advice from Going_Digital,

How does the XTE2005 filtered faceplate perform (for both voice and broadband) when presented with a FTTC/VDSL2 signal?

Are any new products planned by ADSLNation for this new technology?

-------------------------------------
Zen 1760/448k ADSLmax
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Dec-11 16:06:37
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Other than a physically different design to make it easy to fit the Openreach FTTC faceplate is pretty much the same as what was deployed when ADSL was first rolled out.

Same with microfilters, they should continue to perform the same way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to