General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 18:27:24
Print Post

Changing landline and broadband - minimising disruption

[link to this post]

We currently have a BT landline and BT Broadband. This combination has never been good value for money, and lately the broadband has been sluggish too. The latest round of profiteering price hikes from BT has finally prodded us into jumping ship.

We want to move the landline to Primus (wholesale) and the broadband to O2.

In what order should these moves be executed, in order to minimise any loss of service?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Dec-11 18:45:28
Print Post

Re: Changing landline and broadband - minimising disruption

[re: rick1999] [link to this post]

Does Primus landline count as a BT Wholesale Openreach WLR line? If not, O2 won't put BB on it.

Always move the phone 1st, as the ISP wants the line in place before the BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 13-Dec-11 19:20:57)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Dec-11 18:54:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Does Primus landline count as a BT Wholesale WLR line?

yes

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Dec-11 19:21:12
Print Post

I don't think it really matters, but my preference would be broadband first. Partly because I'm pretty sure the move of a BT Retail line to Primus has caused no problems for several O2 users, and partly because IIRC many years ago someone had a new line installed by Primus then were only able to order broadband through Primus. But my memory being what it is, it could have been some other company.

Re O2! Are you talking about one of their LLU packages, or would it be O2 Access? In either case, are you aware of the traffic management on all of them, the 20GB FUP on Basics, and the 20GB cap on Access. Access being reportedly a poor product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-11 20:49:11
Print Post

ask bt for your 'mac' code and see what they offer to retain you
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 20:54:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good that Primus counts as WLR, according to the Anon poster. I'd assumed the Primus/O2 broadband combo must be OK because I saw it's listed as an option on MoneySavingExpert.

That was my feeling too, move the phone first. Contradicted by RobertoS though.

I wonder, has anyone actually gone through a similar move recently who could throw in their tuppence-ha'penny?
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 21:01:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interesting, a different opinion to that of XRaySpeX. I'd love to know who was right. I assume if I moved the broadband first then there would be a shorter interruption to internet connectivity... provided, of course, that the subsequent landline move didn't nobble it.

I get the impression all of these moves have become a lot more straightforward recently - a friend of mine was slammed by TalkTalk, and they managed to move her from Plusnet broadband and phone service completely transparently, i.e. with no noticable interruption to either service, and with her Plusnet wireless router happily connected to TalkTalk ADSL. I was pretty dumbstruck that they could do that much "behind her back", particularly the internet service.

The O2 service I've been looking at is the All-Rounder LLU product, but I've also been looking at Be Value. In fact it's the knowledge that Be is behind O2 that led me to look at O2 - I have previously been a very happy Be customer.
Standard User rick1999
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 21:08:56
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

It will be interesting to see what they offer, but given how poor their broadband is it would have to be (a) too good to refuse and (b) not involve an 18 month contract. Somehow I doubt they will be able to manage that combination.

This pretty much says it all, particularly on customer service:
BT vs O2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Dec-11 21:36:09
Print Post

smile
I wasn't "contradict"ing him, merely saying I would do the opposite because I've known posters do it. Note how I started that post - I don't really think it matters.

As for interruption time, that shouldn't be any different whichever way you do it. When you are on broadband, your line reaches the exchange and is then routed to the broadband MSAN or DSLAM. At the other side of that, your phone service is also routed to the MSAN/DSLAM to get onto your line. So when you move to O2, both have to be moved/reconnected/jumpered to the O2/Be MSAN/DSLAM.

That's where the downtime lies. Who you are paying line rental to shouldn't make any difference, as that is a purely administrative operation.

O2 traffic management here. Be do not have traffic management.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Dec-11 21:39:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by rick1999:
This pretty much says it all, particularly on customer service:
BT vs O2
Hmmm tongue
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_4...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to