General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Thu 15-Dec-11 22:13:54
Print Post

BRAS changes

[link to this post]

Apologies if this has been picked up already in the forums but I couldn't see any mention in the last week.

According to AAISP (see here for details) BT are no longer going to set the BRAS profile in 1Mbps steps on 21CN lines but follow the line rate much more closely.

In effect lots of people will see an improvement in their speeds - could be up to 1Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Dec-11 22:47:42
Print Post

Re: BRAS changes

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

It's been around for a while. They had it going on some exchanges early in the year, if not last year, and recently it has spread at a great rate.

I finally got round to updating my website a few days ago. Three pages under this one.

I think it was the Openreach one on FTTC that made someone realise it could be done tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Dec-11 23:07:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's been around for a while. They had it going on some exchanges early in the year, if not last year, and recently it has spread at a great rate.

I finally got round to updating my website a few days ago. Three pages under this one.

I think it was the Openreach one on FTTC that made someone realise it could be done tongue.
What it took them so long to realise this ?? i heard also that bt are going to start offering service Free of DLM, why they have insisted on DLM and all the other rubbish methods that they use, until now i don't know
the only possible reasons i can think of are
A: save on provision of tech support staff
B: mask underlying potential line faults & interference issues that are able to have an adverse effect up on some lines, & in doing so save on engineering work
c: the DLM bras and whatever other profiling they use acts as an indirect method of artificially capping sync speeds and there fore rate limiting data throughput & that's on top of the traffic shaping ect used by bt and bt wholesale resellers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Fri 16-Dec-11 01:05:58
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

I just took a look at my line data (Zen) today and saw a change had been made on 12th in the early hours - info generated automatically by BT.

Line rate data:

Upstream 416

Downstream 4573

Sync Rate 5184

BRAS Profile TR101

Interleave Auto

Sync Date 12-Dec-2011 05:29

Date 12-Dec-2011 05:29

adsl3500

Auto

22-Nov-2011 19:15

22-Nov-2011 19:15

adsl3500

Auto

22-Nov-2011 18:34

22-Nov-2011 18:34

adsl4000

Auto

19-Nov-2011 22:47

19-Nov-2011 22:47

adsl4500

Auto

17-Nov-2011 09:02

17-Nov-2011 09:02

(Sorry for the odd layout above - that's how copy/paste turned out so I tidied up the 12th info)

On that day, in the late afternoon, I had my Billion 7800n connected and found it to gradually produce a slightly better down speed than I'd had.

I had assumed it was the new router giving better speed, but after reading this wonder if it's the changes to BRAS.
I asked on the Zen forum if anyone knew what the 'TR101' is, and it was suggested that it may be this new type of profile.

I haven't yet upgraded to CN21 though.

...and my delight at a steady connection has been short lived as tonight it has slowed down considerably again after being consistent since Monday! frown
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 06:15:52
Print Post

will read your page thanks robertos, the questions are from me tho.

1 - is there still a long delay for rate increases, which effectively cripples lines with sporadic behaviour.
2 - will they apply these improvements to adsl max.

--edit-- question one answered on your page, so is immediate. So now all BTw need to do is the decent thing to apply to adsl max as well.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 16-Dec-11 06:19:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 09:06:31
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

The BRAS Profile will be the specification number I expect, as in particular set of line parameters. The IP Profile be one value within that.

There are only two possible ways to find your own IP Profile. The prime one is to run the BT Performance Tester, (the full one not the beta), where is shows as Configured download speed on the Testing page and as IP Profile on the Results page.

The second is to check whether your ISP's Control Panel info includes a copy of that, (Plusnet and AAISP have this feature), but that is often a problem area as it can fail to get updated when the BT original changes. Not only that, but the Plusnet system at least hasn't been updated to handle the new ones.

Edit - it looks to be the line of style adsl3500.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 16-Dec-11 09:11:18)

Standard User TrishaH
(regular) Fri 16-Dec-11 14:12:25
Print Post

Thank you - I'm not very tech minded, so a lot of the terminology is new to me.

I need to install Java on this computer to do a BT test - tried a few weeks ago only to have it screw things up, but perhaps I downloaded 64bit instead of 32 ..I'll try again. See edit below.

In the ISP control panel, the first part is what I copied above: 'Line Rate Data', there's also 'Synchronisation Data' and finally 'Service Profile Data'. If it's Service Profile Data, mine has info for the 17th Nov (the day I was connected with the new ISP)
It just has: Noise Margin Reset: N - Run Mode: Fast - Run Mode Changed: N - Interleave: Auto.
It took two days for the Line Rate Data in my earlier post to show the info for 12th.

Re your edit - you think TR101 is the same as adsl3500? ...just a different way of defining it.

EDIT: Downloaded Java 32, did the BT test and my IP Profile is 4969
It says my line is capable of 7150 and that no problems were detected, so any I've had could be congestion or a slow response server.

B4dger - not on my line at the moment then smile

Edited by TrishaH (Fri 16-Dec-11 15:10:00)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Dec-11 14:39:07
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

BT are calling it *BRAS Quantisation*

I'm afraid it's not for 20CN lines frown

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 17:29:52
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

A bit of confusion around smile.

The BRAS is the Broadband Remote Access Server, which has several preset setup parameters and at least one variable one. The variable one is the IP Profile, which reflects the current connection speed. Yours now seems to be a percentage of the sync speed, which you didn't post, as 4969 is a new-style figure, where your earlier post ones were old-style. (The best thing with BT Performance Test results is to copy and paste as far as the end of the upload figures).

adsl3500 was clearly an IP Profile of 3500kbps, and similarly with the adsl4000 etc. Those were the expected values for the connection speeds using the old system. It could be the Zen system doesn't yet cope with the new system, (as with Plusnet), but the figure there, which is probably lower than the BT Performance Tester one, will I expect be slowing you a bit by being lower than the BT figure.

I think the TR101 is the name of a set of the setup parameters, but I am just guessing. So I just googled it, and the intro to the first thing I opened says:-
Migration to Ethernet Based DSL Aggregation TR-101
April, 2006 . Page 2
Abstract:
This Technical Report outlines how an ATM aggregation network can be migrated to an
Ethernet based aggregation network in the context of TR-25 and TR-59 based
architectures. This document provides an architectural/topological model of such an
Ethernet based aggregation network that supports the business requirements in TR-
058. In doing so it describes requirements for protocol translation and interworking,
QoS, multicast, security, and OAM for a DSL aggregation network.
That's clear then! tongue

Edit - corrected as per b4dger's post.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 16-Dec-11 18:50:40)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Dec-11 18:25:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A bit of confusion around smile.

The BRAS is the Basic Rate Adaptive System
Huh?!?

That's not what I thought:
bt bras broadband remote access server

tongue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to