General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User uggy
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:21:55
Print Post

Router Identification

[link to this post]

Any help would be great. I hope that I am in the correct place. I have been having a lot of problems connecting to the internet. My ISP is BT. I have followed all the troubleshooting in the ISP handbook but could not fathom it out. I rung the free number to check for line faults none. I tried today to click the Icon in the notification bar.
I saw that my computer was trying to connect to AOLBB-7FB684. It was trying to do this aoutomatically. I reset the HOMEHUB3 and after many tries I connected to the Router number on my BT book.I tred to google the odd
number but nothing showed. Is this me using a ferquency too close to another user? Thanks for any help.
Best Wishes to ALL for Xmas/New Year.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:33:21
Print Post

Re: Router Identification

[re: uggy] [link to this post]

Perhaps that strange identifier is your wireless network name?

Have you tried connecting to the router with an ethernet cable?

And a merry Christmas to you!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:11:04
Print Post

First step is to connect using the supplied yellow ethernet cable and verify your broadband connection is working that way, and then log into the routers interface to confirm that the wireless network is turned on and what it is called.

Some computers/devices do have wireless driver problems, particularly I've found with the HomeHub 3, and you may need to turn off the wireless N part of the router, i.e. run it in the older B and G mode.

The HH3 is meant to seek out the least congested frequency, and I do wonder whether it is this that at times causes problems.

Software like http://www.netstumbler.com/ can be run and will reveal what wireless networks are visible to a computer, even if you are not actually able to use them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-11 15:10:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by uggy:
I saw that my computer was trying to connect to AOLBB-7FB684.
Looks like a laptop is trying to connect wirelessly to a previous AOL router, whilst you have now got a BT router.

You need to clear out the wireless network settings from the laptop and let it sense the new BT router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to