General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 08:30:24
Print Post

Anyone having issues with BBC news site?

[link to this post]

Apologies for not being specifically broadband related but for the past couple of weeks I've had an issue with BBC news site which is annoying me. I was wondering if anyone else had seen it.

If I bring my laptop out of sleep/hibernation and immediately try to get to news.bbc.co.uk (it used to be my homepage) there will be a long delay of nearly half a minute. The screen will be blank but at the bottom the status line will say 'waiting for emp.bbci.co.uk'. Having got fed up of the waiting I changed my home page to be The Register and there is no such delay with that site. Even more curiously if I go to the BBC site after five minutes there's also no delay. My normal browser is Google Chrome but I've also observed this using IE9.

I have a rough idea of what emp.bbci.co.uk is but I'm puzzled as to why it seems to be triggered/related to bringing my laptop out of sleep/hibernation. I've noticed once or twice my work desktop also seems to stall for a few seconds when first booted but it's nothing like as bad as my laptop. I've emailed the BBC but there seems to be surprisingly little discussion online about this. The only report I can currently find is this:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33681424-bbc-ne...

Any thoughts?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Dec-11 09:30:16
Print Post

Re: Anyone having issues with BBC news site?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

That sounds like the timing of when the main www.bbc.co.uk site went live instead of being available as a beta. Have you tried clearing all bbc-related cookies?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 23-Dec-11 09:31:12)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 10:12:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That sounds like the timing of when the main www.bbc.co.uk site went live instead of being available as a beta. Have you tried clearing all bbc-related cookies?
No, might be worth a try. Thanks.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeP_UK
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 15:59:26
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

This error is still occurring even in 2013. My researches suggest it is a tracking cookie request that many browsers are properly set to reject. However, the BBC site keeps trying to set it on your computer and it may take 20 minutes for it to realise it is getting nowhere.
To my mind, it is unacceptable.
  Print Thread

Jump to