General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 24-Dec-11 20:08:45
Print Post

Change cabinet - new line

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I work for a small company and as you'd expect we rely on Broadband (a lot). Before anyone suggests, we do not have the means for a leased line, it would be nice and in an ideal world I'd love it, but it's way off.

We are connected to a cab 800m away via a 1.3km line. We have ISDN (voice) and now a Digital region connection (FTTC 40/10 running @ 12/2.5 due to length).

I noticed when I went for a walk the other day that there is another fibre cabinet 83m away from us on the other side across the absolute corner of a farmer's field!

Fantastic I thought, I could talk a farmer in letting me dig that especially at the moment as the field is fallow (and in any case I would be running around the edge where you can't get the tractor up to anyway).

My only obstacle is that it is the other side of the road - I fear this may be fatal to my plans.

What are people's experiences? Is BT's stance that you are connected to a cab, so if you order a line, this is where it will come from? Can they be persuaded? I could look at some one off type charges.

Any advice welcome!
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 24-Dec-11 20:52:44
Print Post

Re: Change cabinet - new line

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It sounds like it would be cheaper to pay for an additional 12/2.5 FTTC line.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Dec-11 23:54:58
Print Post

It is possible - but could be costly.

How far is it from your premises to the other side of the road? Under 50m and you could get a pole and drop wire ... again it would be at BTs discretion and your cost! It may be a pole next to the cabinet, wire to next pole and then to you ...

The problem you would have is finding the right person in BT. - not sales as they will immediately say no!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 11:15:26
Print Post

I noticed when I went for a walk the other day that there is another fibre cabinet 83m away from us on the other side across the absolute corner of a farmer's field!

It's not the fibre cabinet you want to get to, it's the copper cabinet it serves, where's that ?

Standard User scolland
(newbie) Tue 27-Dec-11 12:41:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The two are right next to each other.

There are no poles whatsoever in the area, everything is underground.

I take it a new line install is not feasible then?

Kind of wish I knew someone who lived in those houses, I bet wireless router from a windowsill would reach!!

Any other suggestions?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 13:18:21
Print Post

[re: scolland] [link to this post]

Knock on a few doors waving some £20 notes until you get a seller. You could even afford to install a dedicated line at one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 17:14:13
Print Post

what is your current speed on FTTC

i would suggest you do nothing till the new band plan changes come in mid februaryv 2012 when band plan changes start to take effect -- you might get a speed surprise
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 18:56:36
Print Post

Speed is on the original post.. however, he is SYDR and not BT, so may not be subject to band plan changes as most people will be (some already seeing the new bands).
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Tue 27-Dec-11 21:00:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Biggest concern is the lack of control.

What if they / kids / visitors etc unplug it. The business stands still? Not saying maliciously, could be a simple as wanting to plug in a hair dryer, so unplug router.

Other issue is if there is ever a fault, don't have ability to reset / flash router / even tell support what lights are on etc...

I think I'm stuck!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 22:17:57
Print Post

[re: scolland] [link to this post]

new bandplans not uploaded till mid '/ end feb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to