General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 11:28:58
Print Post

Removing settings from old routers

[link to this post]

How do you remove personal settings/ data from ADSL routers without connecting them again? I've noticed most reset buttons don't restore to factory settings.
Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 11:32:30
Print Post

Re: Removing settings from old routers

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There is, quite commonly, a reset button, and a 'hard' reset button, the second of which will wipe the router back to factory defaults. What make of router ? I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

Standard User mr_bean
(member) Tue 27-Dec-11 12:31:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The most common "hard reset" procedure is to hold the reset button down, apply power and keep the reset button held in for a further 10-30 secs before letting go.

However, as Zarjaz says if you can let us know the make of modem it will help someone find the exact instructions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 13:09:53
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_bean:
The most common "hard reset" procedure is to hold the reset button down, apply power and keep the reset button held in for a further 10-30 secs before letting go.

However, as Zarjaz says if you can let us know the make of modem it will help someone find the exact instructions.
Wrong! Very wrong.

That is the procedure for a firmware update, which might be what the OP is doing.

A reset to factory defaults is done with the router already powered up, (it doesn't need to be connected), then firmly but gently pressing the reset button until the lights begin to flash. The reset button is always, (so far as I know) inside a small hole at the back and is most easily accessed using an unfolded paperclip.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 13:14:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
How do you remove personal settings/ data from ADSL routers without connecting them again? I've noticed most reset buttons don't restore to factory settings.
Thanks
As well as my description in this post, you can also alter the settings yourself by powering up the router and connecting to it from your computer. It doesn't need to be connected to the phone line.

If you do this, either do it wired, or if you do it wirelessly make sure you do all the username and password stuff and so on before altering the wireless setup. My point being that as soon as you alter the wireless settings you usually lose the connection immediately.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 15:21:40
Print Post

From the OP: Removing settings from old routers

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, Guys, that was me. (I wonered why I had to key in the mystery words)

The Router is a £109 Billion as detailed below:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4076378-my-...

Firmware is not a factor. Not only is the Billion no better at holding a line that exhibited a few problems before Christmas, the sync is low compared to my ZyXEL. I hope to get a refund or exchange and want to remove all personal info.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 15:24:55
Print Post

Thanks for both your helpful posts, Bob. I had instuctions for a factory reset for an old router that's heading for resyc- as I've had for most old gear I sent in the past-- but nothing for the Billion I want to return to Amazon after the Bank Holidays.

Edited by ARD (Tue 27-Dec-11 15:26:41)

Standard User bob_lucas
(newbie) Tue 27-Dec-11 17:35:02
Print Post

I am not familiar with the Billion 7800 router, so I can't offer definitive advice. However, the easiest way to remove personal data from any router is to reset it to the original factory settings.

You will find reset instructions in the detailed user manual. If you can't find your manual, copies for the 7800N, 7800NL and 7800GZ routers are available at http://au.billion.com/product/usermanual.php.

Download the manual as a pdf file - and search the document for the word "reset". According to the manual for the 7800N, you will find a small Reset pinhole button, at the rear of the router (next to the power connector socket). To reset the router to its original factory settings, turn on the power. Disconnect the ADSL cable. Then, insert a paper clip or similar implement into the pinhole and depress the Reset button for more than 1 second.

If that doesn't work, you could use the router configuration menu to remove your personal details.

Use a web browser to navigate to the router's IP address at 192.168.1.254. By default, both the username and password are "admin". Click on OK to open the configuration menu.

Then, browse through the various options, until you find the Username and Password fields. Delete your data from these fields and save your changes.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-11 20:05:12
Print Post

[re: bob_lucas] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input. I have a manual on CD that I'll search thoroughly before I go further. smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 20:19:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Wrong! Very wrong.

Not always. Such a sweeping statement does not cover all routers.

There are many that use the power off, hold in reset button, power in and keep pressed for 10~ seconds.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to