General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Tue 27-Dec-11 14:46:57
Print Post

What might cause this?

[link to this post]

I have had this behaviour on my Tbb Quality monitor twice in the last few days. I still have sync according to my router stats but cannot get a connection to any site. My Netgear status gives disconnected and a connect instruction after LCP is allowed to come up eventually goes to disconnect. The only way I can get back is to use the RouterStat commands to reboot. As I do not use my internet between 7 and 10 pm I do not know if I can get connecrted again any earlier. I am using a Netgear DG 834G v4 with latest firmware, Win7 and Plusnet ISP. I have telnetted the router to give 6dB margin from my default of 9dB. The margin when the packet loss is 100% is about 5dB. Any ideas please.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 15:50:35
Print Post

Re: What might cause this?

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

As I do not use my internet between 7 and 10 pm I do not know if I can get connecrted again any earlier.
Are you saying the packet loss only occurs when you are not (trying) to use it? Or have you typo'ed something?

What happens if you don't tweak the margin down from 9dB? As the Plusnet default is 6dB, the fact that yours is set to 9dB indicates some previous, and possibly ongoing, instability, which the DLM is trying to counter. Tweaking it back down simply prevents it doing so, and could result in it hiking it to 12dB.

Do you know of anything historic?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Tue 27-Dec-11 16:09:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Packet loss seems to happen when I am not doing anything on line. If I am it seems to respond very slowly.
I used to have a problem with noise from a neighbour's TV but that suddenly went at the time a new BT cabinet to replace the old was being built alongside a new cabinet for fibre (Sept/Oct this year). Since then my margin has been very steady just dropping slowly through the evening.
When I telnet the router I resync at about 5000kbps but when I rebooted last night at around 10pm I resynced at about 4000 and did not telnet so waiting to see what happens tonight.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 16:37:02
Print Post

Strange question perhaps, but what do you do between 7pm and 10pm that stops you using the computer? Could there be a cause there?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Tue 27-Dec-11 17:05:45
Print Post

I choose not to use the computer as I generally watch DVD or TV or listen to CD/radio. No change to any of the equipment, or settings etc. for the last three or four years. Computer is hibernated or put to sleep then.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Dec-11 17:29:51
Print Post

It could be a power supply on one of them has gone dodgy. Try turning them all off for a couple of minutes at 8:30pm, or any convenient time. Is the TV internet linked?

Does anyone else in the house do anything relevant at those times?

It's odd the way it starts intermittently, then goes solid.

Edit - semi-garbage!

If you do that you need to reboot it to get it re-connected, then wait another couple of minutes before turnimg things back on.

But easier - try turning on this other gear whilst not using it at some other time of day and see if you get the same effect then.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 27-Dec-11 17:37:29)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 27-Dec-11 21:02:14
Print Post

I notice the ping times fell slightly at 8pm... could be different routing or an interleaving change
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Tue 27-Dec-11 22:20:57
Print Post

No major packet loss this evening. Replicated last nights viewing and listening. Checked every half hour - just four short red events- guess about 1% and they did not match any hi-fi/TV event. Un-telnetted margin 9dB. Will watch again tomorrow night.
  Print Thread

Jump to