General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Dec-11 22:13:24
Print Post

Additional BT Infinity Rolout in Wales

[link to this post]

Menai Bridge, Cardigan, Aberystwyth, Gresford, Old Colwyn, Rhos on Sea, Denbigh, Ruthin, Saundersfoot, Burry Port, Llandybie, Kidwelly, Milford Haven, Blaenavon, Monmouth, Talywain, Gilwern, Tywyn, Amlwch, Valley, Abercynon, Ferndale, Mountain Ash, Treorchy, Builth Wells, Llanidloes, Llandrindod Wells, Newtown, Glantawe, Brecon, Cowbridge, Gowerton, Bishopston

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16338904
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Tue 27-Dec-11 22:24:47
Print Post

Re: Additional BT Infinity Rolout in Wales

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

NOOOOO

IT is not infinity it is ADSL2

Read it all..... it reads speeds upto 20Mbps.

Ian
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 10:14:17
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Menai Bridge, Cardigan, Aberystwyth, Gresford, Old Colwyn, Rhos on Sea, Denbigh, Ruthin, Saundersfoot, Burry Port, Llandybie, Kidwelly, Milford Haven, Blaenavon, Monmouth, Talywain, Gilwern, Tywyn, Amlwch, Valley, Abercynon, Ferndale, Mountain Ash, Treorchy, Builth Wells, Llanidloes, Llandrindod Wells, Newtown, Glantawe, Brecon, Cowbridge, Gowerton, Bishopston
What a confusing article. But as Ian wrote if you read it carefully this roll out is actually just for ADSL. It did seem a weird list of exchanges if it was Infinity. Rhos-on-Sea, Old Colwyn but no Colwyn Bay or Llandudno is perverse even by BT's standards.

I reckon that if/when FTTC does ever get here it'll only be C'Bay that gets the equipment. Everyone else in the peninsula will be fed from there. Call it 'The great North Wales exchange' laugh

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Wed 28-Dec-11 10:24:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 10:20:46
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
NOOOOO

IT is not infinity it is ADSL2

Read it all..... it reads speeds upto 20Mbps.

Ian
Yeah, not a very well written article at all.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Wed 28-Dec-11 10:21:25)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 12:12:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yeah Its BTw chasing TalkTalk Tenby and Haverfordwest already have WBC RFS dates, Milford haven and Saundersfoot are new additions in the last few weeks - but Pembroke - largest exchange in the county - gets nothing from anyone .

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Standard User mrijones
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 13:00:54
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

There are a few other small exchanges which have already been done, or due to be done and not on this list, here's a couple I found.

Bow Street, near Aberystwyth
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNBS

Pwllheli
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNPWL
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Wed 28-Dec-11 19:15:55
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Pembroke may well be the largest exchange in Pembrokeshire, but serves both Pembroke dock and Pembroke, and , as I am sure you are aware the east side of Pembroke is so far away from the exchange that they receive poor ADSL Speeds so ADSL2 will be of little benefit there.

Ian
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 19:38:07
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Lots of exchanges have long lines, Saundersfoot covers quite a diverse area for one... do you mean that everyone has to be denied access to more reasonable priced/ more generous bandwidth WBC services - which would be a net gain for many on longer lines. Much of Pembroke Dock, Pennar, Bufferlands, Llanreath The Green, Pembroke itself would see a lift of varying levels, It might not benefit areas like Grove, Monkton and Bishops Park by any, but then WBC has other benefits as mentioned above

I wonder if Penally is served off of Tenby? There is no mention of a Penally exchange on Sam Knows.. so if all those long lines are served off of Tenby............ thats got to impact the number gaining from being on WBC There - a much smaller number would gain - given that it starts as being a much smaller exchange.

Otherwise lets see a proper price cut to ADSL1 to reflect the low speed and old equipment, a price cut that would actually reach the consumer on market1

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by warweezil (Wed 28-Dec-11 19:47:47)

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Wed 28-Dec-11 20:37:53
Print Post

[re: mrijones] [link to this post]

This adds to this 27th September news release-http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=E147C2A8-8BD9-4679-9C93-1FF0B047144C

However how they will find Tywyn in the county of CAENARFON is beyond me! Also BBC Wales and Wales online neglected to mention LLU services on many exchanges also and some had full VM services

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Wed 28-Dec-11 20:39:10)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 20:54:26
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

Thats what is annoying myself and many on my exchange, a tiny area Like Saundersfoot will have 2 llu operators and WBC while 10 miles away, a pair of towns like Pembroke and Pembroke Dock will be stuck in this Market 1 time warp.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to