General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dvictor
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:07:42
Print Post

Wireless router settings for ports to allow work VPN

[link to this post]

I have just had to change ISP from BT Business as my company no longer provide it. I have gone with PlusNet but can't get the VPN which allows me to work from home to be accepted. When I asked the PlusNet helpdesk they told me that "This is a setting that can be changed on your router however we do not support this as we block these ports for security"

The settings in question (according to my work helpdesk) are:
"Work with your ISP (internet service provider) to verify and ensure the ports below are open:

Packet filters for Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
TCP destination port of 1723 = PPTP tunnel maintenance traffic
IP Protocol ID of 47 = PPTP tunneled data
Packet filters for Layer Two Tunneling Protocol over Internet Protocol security (L2TP/IPSec)
UDP destination port of 500 = Internet Key Exchange (IKE) traffic
UDP destination port of 1701 = allows L2TP traffic
UDP destination port of 4500 = IPSec network address translator traversal (NAT-T) traffic"

Can anyone help me on this please? Is there any way I can amend my settings on my router - a Belkin N300 - to allow the VPN to work?

Or do I have to find an ISP whose broadband will allow this? If so, how will I know which ISPs do this?

As you can tell, I'm not a techno-whizz, and any help will be gratefully received.
Thank you
David
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:15:29
Print Post

Re: Wireless router settings for ports to allow work VPN

[re: dvictor] [link to this post]

What software do you use to connect to the office VPN?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User dvictor
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:16:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's HP remote access

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:29:46
Print Post

So do you use the PAL dialler they provide (That's what I meant to ask)?

What router did you use with BT, the Belkin you're using now?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User dvictor
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:35:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I used BT Business Hub with BT, but this won't work at all with PlusNet and you can't unlock the firmware version I have. That's why I bought the Belkin. Looks like I could have wasted the money (£75) !!!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:41:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by dvictor:
I used BT Business Hub with BT, but this won't work at all with PlusNet and you can't unlock the firmware version I have. That's why I bought the Belkin. Looks like I could have wasted the money (£75) !!!
Well, you've got two variables there - it might be the router, or it might be the ISP. I suggest you post in the Plusnet forum here to see if any other users or staff can help.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 22:55:11
Print Post

Th eBT hub will work with most other ISPs ... have a read through http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

If it will not, then you need to find a way to cancel your PlusNet contract ... and having tried 2 routers which will not work you have a good argument. Then, revert to BT business or residential and continue with the BT hub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 23:09:15
Print Post

This looks interesting:
In reply to a post by heisenberg912:
We managed to borrow a different router from a friend and have tried that out. It seems to have solved some other problems and I'm keeping an eye on how the VPN performance goes for the rest of this week. So far today it is OK but we shall see if that continues.

Print Thread

Jump to