General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jan-12 02:38:49
Print Post

IPv6 any idea for when it's available in UK?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm unable to purchase any IPv4 addresses for my gaming server business, and it's putting me at risk of running bankrupt / shutting down as I can't compete with company's with spare dedicated IP's.

The best offer I found is $50.00 a year for each IP address and not a single customer will pay near that amount, and to top it off you can only get it with a very justifiable reason like your a charity which requires SSL.

How long until IPv6 goes live? because my network is ready, my ISP is prepared, but cPanel isn't and nor have the IPv6 addresses been issued yet.

Why didn't the government and ISP's prepare for this, they've once again left it too late and the cracks are starting and the foundation of the Internet is collapsing.
Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 08:16:24
Print Post

Re: IPv6 any idea for when it's available in UK?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BTnet platform will continue progressively deploying IPv4 (and IPv6) capability and they plan to launch full standardised IPv6 support early in 2012.They will even manage your Cisco servers
Take a look at http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/leased...

Incidently what on earth has it to do with the government? It is all to do with business taking developments forward and as IPv6 is still being developed and mastered to all intense and purpose it is as yet not really a final product IPv6 is not compatible with IPv4, in a lot of cases it is tunnelled across an IPV4 networks [encapsulated in a IPv4 packet] this does slow down the process] one of the reasons that IPv4 will continue for at least another 10 years
.A point to note is that even though Windows vista and Windows7 Microsoft has installed and enabled IPv6 by default, Windows does not fully support IPv6 because when Windows sees a colon it references it to a drive letter.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jan-12 15:53:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The best offer I found is $50.00 a year for each IP address

I am quite confused. Are you running your game servers on a residential connection or something? Even in that case the price you quoted seems grossly incorrect.

Contrary to what you may think IPs are still plentiful and most real datacentres will supply you with IPs completely free. Even business ISP AAISP will give you a /24 on your DSL no problems.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-12 19:36:07
Print Post

IPv4 are not plentiful and should not be regarded as such.
People and companies must start to get a grasp on this as right now it more a case of "Well we will get around to it sometime soon"
The main issue from a consumer point of view is there is no reasonable priced hardware on the market, so people are not in a hurry to roll it out.
As for giving out a /24 on a DSL connection, I would think it hard to justify why someone would want 254 IPs on the DSL connection.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 04-Jan-12 19:59:55
Print Post

Re: IPv6 any idea for when it's available in UK? - Edited

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
I would think it hard to justify why someone would want 254 IPs on the DSL connection.
We provide all customers with a delegated /48 of native IPv6 address space. This gives you 65,536 subnets, each subnet consisting of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 native IPv6 addresses. That should keep you going for a while!!
tongue

eta- Don't forget that there's no NAT on IPv6, so you need a v6 address for each device on your network that wants to use it, not just one for the router.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Wed 04-Jan-12 20:35:05)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_bean
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:22:07
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

As for giving out a /24 on a DSL connection, I would think it hard to justify why someone would want 254 IPs on the DSL connection.
Indeed, although I have a /27 at home which is getting quite full.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:24:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Contrary to what you may think IPs are still plentiful and most real datacentres will supply you with IPs completely free. Even business ISP AAISP will give you a /24 on your DSL no problems.

You might want to phone them up now and ask about that. I signed up with AAISP towards the start of last year and during the process, if I said I wanted anything other than just a single IP address, they wanted specific details as to why. Justification for use. That was for the smallest size too (a slash 28). In the end, I looked at the questions they were asking me, and couldn't be bothered answering and got a single static IP instead. I can do most of what I require with NAT anyway.

Further more, I just ordered a new VPS server with my hosting provider last month and as part of the package they can supply up to 2 IPs on the server at no extra charge (configured with one to start with, you contact them if the 2nd one is needed). I had to justify my use when asking them to set the server up with the 2nd IP address. The previous server from them (which I got over a year ago now), they never questioned it.

It is becoming a problem. Expect providers to either start charging extra or making you jump through hoops to obtain extra IPv4 addresses. I think it's a good idea, as most people will only make the effort to justify their use if it really is a requirement for them.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Wed 04-Jan-12 20:25:49)

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:01:57
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I think it's a RIPE requirement to justify use of an IP block

Also
http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6-plans.html

Be* Unlimited
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:13:03
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Yes, but I was with Zen some years ago and they handed me a /28 on a plate, no questions asked. Anything bigger, they then asked for justification. Maybe their policies have changed since (not checked).

And an extra 2nd IP address on a VPS server hardly qualifies as an IP block, or indeed, has anything to do with RIPE.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:26:20
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

RIPE's policies have changed wink

Be* Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to