General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 12:41:45
Print Post

Moving master socket (but cable is slightly damaged....)

[link to this post]

I'm wanting to have my master socket moved from the hallway into my lounge and i'm wondering if anyone can give me a ball park figure on how much this should cost? Or should i get it done for free.....read on!

The drop wire comes to the house wall that the master socket will be installed on in the lounge so would the drop wire go direct into the master socket or would they fit a junction box somwwhere and take another cable into the master socket?

Currently it comes through the same part of house wall as mentioned above, through our downstairs WC (but i think the cable is behind some tiles), into an RF3 junction box in the hallway and then a cable is taken from there to the master socket. The cable into the master socket runs across the doorway into the lounge and hence its trodden on all the time (its under the carpet of course) and has probably split along a good 12 inches of the cable sheathing. It seems the previous owners of the house have selotaped it up as best as they can although the cores in the cable appear to be no longer twisted (this might not help the noise spikes i see from time to time on my line when using routerstats and which have in the past caused losses of sync (voice side has never had a problem though)).

So the fact its been damaged to some degree and is BT property should they replace it for free (assume the master socket stays where it is for now)?
Damage was only caused by BT's location of the socket and shoddy routing of the cable!!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Jan-12 14:17:48
Print Post

Re: Moving master socket (but cable is slightly damaged....)

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

The location may have been at the behest of the previous resident and that is what BT will say, particularly as running under carpet is not standard BT practice, they will run cable further to avoid this usually.

The cost of a master socket relocation £120 to £180

It is a case of how do you prove that BT put the cable where it is

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 14:25:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thanks. Going to get the socket moved I think then.
Price request was so I can at least weigh up whether bt are ripping me off when I ask for a price!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 14:34:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh and do you know if they would run the drop wire to the mater socket direct as it would just be going straight through the wall into the back of the new socket or would they fit an external junction box the run another cable from there ?
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Wed 04-Jan-12 15:33:46
Print Post

There's no reason why they can't run it directly.

Although to save some money you could do some DIY
Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 17:51:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yea i know i could do it myself but just a little wary as i know your not supposed to touch it.

For info these are the pics of the damaged cable, i also forgot the cable runs infront of the downstairs WC so also gets stood on alot and has also split open but hasnt had any selotape added to it.

Pic of cable with selotape!

Pic of cable without selotape!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jan-12 17:58:13
Print Post

If the new NTE will sit straight on the wall where it comes through from outside, then, no, no junction box ...... unless, you mention you have an RF3 filter fitted, what was that put in for ?? If it was put in for BB reasons, then I'd suggest this was relocated too. If there will be a standard NTE back box at the new location, you can take the guts of the RF3 out and they will fit in the back of the new NTE, very neat !

Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 17:59:35
Print Post

Well i would do that as a free repair and be happy to put the nte5 were you like as long as the cable run would take no longer then the time to run a cable to were the nte5 is now.

See a fair bit of damaged cable as per op just means it was not put in right years ago.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:05:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The RF3 box was there when i moved in in Dec 2004. The previous occupants only had dialup.

http://www.bttorj45.com/bt80brf3.html
Reduces chance of REIN although saying that i do get noise spikes that take out my ADSL and had BT out a few times to try and solve it but never really did.
Then again my split cable (its about 5m long) is after this (between the RF3 and NTE5) so looks like it wouldnt help if there was interference local to me....

I would hope just going into a master socket without this you could get master sockets with this built in?

Edited by InQ (Wed 04-Jan-12 18:06:10)

Standard User InQ
(member) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:07:46
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

Have you ever seen this type of damage (currently it seems cores are not twisted but not physically damaged) cause problems with noise on ADSL lines?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to