General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 23:30:40
Print Post

Will this work voice/ADSL Extension set up ?!?

[link to this post]

I want to rig a voice/adsl extension to the front room coming from the upstairs toilet (master socket located) using cat 5e cable. The total extension distance approx 20-25 metres. I know standard telephone extensions do not carry broadband signal because it is removed from source inside the front plate of master socket. Hence why i been trying to rig a adsl/phone extension.

Already Installed in house ---- FROM bt drop cable TO 35A block terminal TO old school bt logo nte5 master socket in toilet using twisted 2 pair telephone cable.

My plan

From the master socket nte5 (toilet), i want to install a nte5 adsl/broadband filter master socket adaptor plate 6 way IDC onto the master socket front plate which will then be hardwired to IDC terminals 2,3,5 for voice (filtered signal) and then A,B for ADSL (unfiltered raw signal) using the cat5 cable then i will run it the distance in which i will then install a ADSL filtered/RJ11 facelplate extension socket in the front room which will also be hardwired in.

will this work? I know I would be able to get the voice siginal but will I be able to achieve a broadband siginal rigging it this way?

Or have you got any better ideas to install a neat hardwired adsl/phone extension?

I would be grateful for your answers, thanks
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-12 23:55:11
Print Post

Re: Will this work voice/ADSL Extension set up ?!?

[re: matlow2012] [link to this post]

That would work, although you don't need to connect pin 3 typically for most phones to ring. But yes, if you filter it in the bathroom then send voice down one twisted pair and adsl down a second you should be fine. You could of course try to stealth the router upstairs and run 100mbit duplex over 2 pairs, with a third pair used for voice?

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:16:58
Print Post

Re: Will this work voice/ADSL Extension set up ?! - EDITED

In reply to a post by matlow2012:
I know standard telephone extensions do not carry broadband signal because it is removed from source inside the front plate of master socket.
No, it isn't from a standard unfiltered NTE5 faceplate. It may be if you fit a certain type of filtered faceplate, but you say you have an "old school bt logo nte5 master socket ".

EDIT: Hence it is unnecessary to do your planned jiggery-pokery.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 06-Jan-12 00:20:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Jan-12 00:17:20
Print Post

AS blueacid says, yes it will work, but sounds a bit odd.

I gather you have/want a phone in the toilet, and a neat installation rather than a dangly filter there? That would explain your plan, but unless I have misunderstood something then you have smile.

The replacement ADSL faceplate for the NTE5 plugs straight into the existing wall assembly. No wiring to the numbered terminals is required.

You then connect just one pair of the CAT5, (making sure it is a matching pair such as white/blue and blue/white), to the A/B terminals on the new faceplate. That provides an unfiltered feed, as you say.

The you fit the extension socket in the front room, with its filtered faceplate, and the CAT5 connected to that sockets A/B terminals. Ensure A >> A and B >> B, not A >> B and B >> A. That gives you a filtered phone socket and an ADSL socket there.

If you don't use a matching pair you have what is called "split pairs" and that wrecks your ADSL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 08:10:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have been trying to get my ISP and also BT to move the master socket to a better location but they are refusing. Having a master socket in the toilet is now against building regulations as it is a place of dampness. There is no power supply in the loo as well which is a pain in the bum when rigging router equipment.

I am thinking about getting my ISP to call BT out to do a "free" health check and may replaced the old bt master socket with a new openreach socket. I would do it myself but I would be breaking the law.

Just as a test, I did rig cat 3 cable going from points A and B from my master socket bypassing the front plate (using it as another Junction box) going to another master socket which I picked up from the electrical trader. I then attached the standard ISP free microfilter, my phone worked but my adsl was dead. I know I had data flowing because the wireless light on my router was green and steady but the internet light was not on.
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 09:04:59
Print Post

I got it working by plugging a modified telephone splitter 2 way with B/W W/B idc terminals in each way into the master socket which i then connected my blue/white twisted pair cat 5 into one way idc terminals. There is nothing plugged into the telephone splitter in the master socket.

Down in to front room, I got another modified splitter again with IDC terminals and connected it the same way. then I plugged the microfilter into the splitter. I plugged the telephone and router into the filter and it worked.

Would my plan earlier in the post work or is there another neater way of doing it?

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 06-Jan-12 10:25:24
Print Post

Do you need anything in the bathroom?

The neatest solution to me would be to get a filtered faceplate with all 5 terminals on the rear (A B 1 2 3) such as Pressac, Austin Taylor, ADSLNation. Install that in the bathrooom.

At the location you want the outlets for modem and phone use a standard electrical backbox, then fit a K182 modular frontplate, with a K5887 RJ11/12 module and a K5821 secondary BT socket. I have used the MK Logic range as an example, if you have MK Edge, or a different brand around the rest of the house, choose one which matches.

Then, use cat5 e cable and try to use conventional colours!

Blue/White & White/Blue for pins 2 & 5 telephony
Orange/White pin 3 telephony (ring wire which may/may not be needed but is a seperate discussion)

Green pair - unused

Brown/White & White/Brown for A & B at the bathroom end to either 2&5 or 3&4 on the RJ11/12 depending on which pair your modem uses.

You can then run any other extensions from either of the locations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 11:18:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks all for your help, problem sorted
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 11:56:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My broadband/phone RJ11 socket is from TLC direct (order code GP ADSLS), there are 6 IDC terminals numbering 1 to 6 on the back.

The adsl/broadfilter is working on my master socket as per MHC wiring.

At the moment I am still using the modified splitter in the front room until i can figure out how the wiring goes inside the adsl/phone socket.

I want it all looking neat without splitters etc.

Now I do I wiring up the broadband/phone socket as there is no wiring instructions witht it?

Any idea many thanks again
Standard User matlow2012
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 13:38:17
Print Post

final post - all done MHC wiring correct, thanks guys
  Print Thread

Jump to