General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 15:04:52
Print Post

Unable to use modem-only on my business-grade ADSL2+

[link to this post]

Hello,

I used to run a video conferencing device on BE home broadband previously and it worked pretty well. The device would be plugged into the modem with a static IP, so it was public. I can't use router on that device because it causes too many configuration problems. No routers that I've tried were suitable.

As we moved offices I switched to Vaioni, which is a company that resells BE's network, but with lower contention levels (10:1 in my case vs. 50:1 on BE broadband). It has good support and works pretty well, however, I can't run my video conferencing device via router in modem mode because it is PPPoA. For this reason, I will be switching my ISP to something else (I don't want to get into the router configuration conversation and the only way that I will be running this is the way I described).

I am quite disappointed that I have to go through this, but does anybody know any good business-grade ISPs that would do ADSL2+ with low-ish contention and an ability to use modem in the way I described?

Thanks very much,
kreutz
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jan-12 15:38:50
Print Post

Re: Unable to use modem-only on my business-grade ADSL2+

[re: kreutz] [link to this post]

You'll find most ISPs use PPPoA and even Be are switching to this soon too.

Sounds like you might need a routed block of IPs, if I have understood what you are trying to do correctly, so that the device behind the router has a public IP address, reachable from the outside world.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 16:06:32
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Really? That is very bad news (the switching to PPPoA bit).

Yes, I don't want any infrastructure before the device. I have a number of static IPs (more than one) and I want to assign one of those IPs to the device so that it is public and there is nothing (and I do mean nothing) between the device and whoever tries to connect to it. I have previously tried putting the device behind NAT with all ports forwarded, which didn't work. Then I tried putting it onto DMZ and that didn't work either (that's on a number of routers). H.323 protocol is quite sensitive to routers apparently. So, anyway, if that is possible then could you sort of give me a rough idea as to how it needs to be done? Is it very complex? Thanks very much.

kreutz

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-12 19:21:03
Print Post

[re: kreutz] [link to this post]

You need to find an ADSL modem/router that will handle a block of static IP supplied by the ISP and run in NON-NAT mode.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to