General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 12:24:51
Print Post

O2 Holme Broadband or BT Option 3?

[link to this post]

Sorry if i sound like a complete newbie, but truth be told, i read some of the posts here and reckon i am definitely one.

I have the option of choosing between the O2 All Rounder package (13.75 per month) and the O2 Option 3 (27.85 per moth)

They both seem the same by the looks of it, both offer Unlimited downloads (O2 is truly unltd), Mc Afee Security, Free Evening and Weekend Calls etc. Both provide N-routers.

I am a heavy user with over 40gb needs per month, use a lot of internet telly plus browsing. Calls are hardly ever used.

Could someone please tell me if it is worthwhile going for the BT version for twice the price based on previous experience?

Obviously O2 customer service is far from perfect, i am sure. But hoping i wouldnt need them so badly.

And if this post isnt meant to be here, kindly refrain from dissing me off completely!

Thanks in advance
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Jan-12 13:11:26
Print Post

Re: O2 Holme Broadband or BT Option 3?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I have the option of choosing between the O2 All Rounder package (13.75 per month) and the O2 Option 3 (27.85 per moth)
Where you get these prices from? Are you an existing O2 customer? Are you including Line Rental? O2 All Rounder incl. Phone is either £20 if already with O2 or £25 if not.

Shouldn't the 2nd one be BT? It's no longer Option 3. If you mean BT Unlimited Broadband and Evening & Weekend Calls, it's £25 + Line Rental of at least £10.
(O2 is truly unltd)
No, it's not! They operate extensive Traffic Management.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 13:18:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

These are the prices I was quoted.
O2: I've been with them for 4 years so they offered me this price.
BT: I'm an existing customer and they offered me this price as I said I was leaving their service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Jan-12 13:23:14
Print Post

So, are you including Line Rental?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jan-12 13:28:49
Print Post

As an aside, you didn't mean "O2 Option 3 (27.85 per moth)", you meant "BT Option 3 (27.85 per month).

Which O2 package are you on at the moment, and why do you want to change it? Yours is surely unlimited at the moment.

I gather your phone rental is with BT - is it reducing the price of that you are looking to do? Do you have an O2 mobile phone giving you the £5pm discount?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jan-12 13:30:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
So, are you including Line Rental?
It looks like All Rounder (with an O2 mobile) at half price for 12 months plus Home Phone at £7.50pm.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 07-Jan-12 13:31:27)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 15:00:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry,
Yes these prices include line rental. Yes, O2 All Rounder.
I'm an existing BT customer with option 2 which has a 40gb limit. Tend to go over 40 lotta times.
BT Option 3 unlimited is the one I'm comparing O2 All Rounder with.
What's O2 broadband service like? If it isn't completely rubbish I don't see why it's not worth taking the risk of getting on a 12 m contract for nearly half the price BT are offering.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 15:01:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm looking to reduce the price and yes I have an existing O2 mobile account.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jan-12 15:18:25
Print Post

BT will throttle P2P when their service is busy. They don't specify a time, just when it is likely. But if it isn't affecting you now then presumably it won't if you upgrade.

O2 have the traffic management shown on this page.

Have you looked at Plusnet Extra, perhaps with the Pro option. (IIRC the Pro option is monthly, so you can try it and stop it easily). See this page for their traffic management.

A good thing about Plusnet is it is easy to get out, even with the 12-month contract it doesn't cost a lot. You don't have to pay off the twelve months. Check that side of it if you consider them seriously.

There's no need to have your phone rental and broadband with the same company, except for a few such as BT. Many people, including me, don't like that anyway. My phone is with BT but I'm on my fourth broadband ISP. BT line rental is getting a bit steep now though, I agree.

If you use the landline phone much, remember to watch out for things like caller display and 1571 that others often charge for. We often see Primus mentioned here for the landline, and I don't remember any complaints. Possibly the Post Office is OK as well.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 15:27:29
Print Post

Sorry,
Yes these prices include line rental. Yes, O2 All Rounder.
I'm an existing BT customer with option 2 which has a 40gb limit. Tend to go over 40 lotta times.
BT Option 3 unlimited is the one I'm comparing O2 All Rounder with.
What's O2 broadband service like? If it isn't completely rubbish I don't see why it's not worth taking the risk of getting on a 12 m contract for nearly half the price BT are offering.
Well you would end up being tied into another 12th contract & should you fall on harder times or wish to migrate away because you are not satisfied with the level of service you receive,you would still be liable for any remainder of the 12ths contract, As with most things you only get what you pay for broadband is no different for less than the prices quoted you could have BE wholesale broadband via a reseller with a rolling monthly contract no tie ins truly unlimited no throttles traffic shaping at any time of the day, and if you have the £120 to pay in advance you could keep the phone with bt retail, and take advantage of their £10 per month line rental saver offer so £10 line rent (lrs) anytime weekend calls plan, or if you make a lot of landline calls the unlimited anytime or evening may save you money on calls to other landlines , and be wholesale bb Xilo blog
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to