General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jan-12 22:07:12
Print Post

Hmmmm My Router Stats!!

[link to this post]

Can anyone look at the linked image and tell me if that is normal for line statistics?!?!

Upstream Line Attenuation 1037 db !!
Upstream Noise Margin 6553 db !!

However my router syn'd and authenticated without issue (it would appear) because I am writing this to you!!

The n/m is presently 18 db

Is this more likely to be an issue with my router or the line? (Netgear DG843PN with DGTeam 1018)

Any advice appreciated.

Router Line Stats
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-12 22:10:25
Print Post

Re: Hmmmm My Router Stats!!

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I presume you are in the building next door to the telephone exchange, based on the downstream figures.

If the 4dB attenuation is sensible, then the upstream is most likely just a bug with the router GUI, when displaying a very small upstream set of figures.

If 4dB downstream attenuation is ok for location, then the sync speed is very poor. Any historical speed data for this line?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jan-12 22:37:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I presume you are in the building next door to the telephone exchange, based on the downstream figures.

If the 4dB attenuation is sensible, then the upstream is most likely just a bug with the router GUI, when displaying a very small upstream set of figures.

If 4dB downstream attenuation is ok for location, then the sync speed is very poor. Any historical speed data for this line?

I have always struggled with my 'up to 24 mbit' connection as i think its due to my internal wiring, so i sync at 11 mbit (very stable after my ISP reduced my profile (i think).

They are in the process of upgrading out street cabs for FTTC, so i am about 20 metres from the cabinet (crow flies) or more like <100 as my phone line goes from back of house.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Is a high line attenuation better or worse?
Is a high noise margin better or worse?

Why is my downstream not affected?

Will FTTC have a significant improvement in normal ADSL 2+ connections?

Thanks again laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Mon 09-Jan-12 22:38:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

I have always struggled with my 'up to 24 mbit' connection as i think its due to my internal wiring, so i sync at 11 mbit (very stable after my ISP reduced my profile (i think).

They are in the process of upgrading out street cabs for FTTC, so i am about 20 metres from the cabinet (crow flies) or more like <100 as my phone line goes from back of house.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Is a high line attenuation better or worse?
Is a high noise margin better or worse?

Why is my downstream not affected?

Thanks again laugh

Hmmm, logged in now, I dont like being anonymous!!

ADSL24: C&W Home LLU ADSL2+, Netgear DG834PN 1.03.39 DGTeam 1018, Belkin N1 Vision (1.00.07), Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 4 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-12 22:40:48
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Need to know whether the downstream attenuation is actually real? i.e. verify the basic info from another make of router

Low line attenuation is good, but if its really 4dB, then you are not connected to a street cabinet, but about 200m of cable to the telephone exchange building

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Mon 09-Jan-12 23:36:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Need to know whether the downstream attenuation is actually real? i.e. verify the basic info from another make of router

Low line attenuation is good, but if its really 4dB, then you are not connected to a street cabinet, but about 200m of cable to the telephone exchange building

I am at least 1 km from the exchange I would say, more like 2 (15 mins brisk walk each morning takes me pas it)

I will check line stats with my DG834g tomorrow. Thanks

ADSL24: C&W Home LLU ADSL2+, Netgear DG834PN 1.03.39 DGTeam 1018, Belkin N1 Vision (1.00.07), Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 4 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jan-12 23:42:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
FTTC has nowt to do with ordinary ADSL connections ans cannot affect them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 12-Jan-12 19:08:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I was under the impression that FTTC has nowt to do with ordinary adsl, I was more implying that OpenReach are doing work in the area at the moment, and my stats have changed quite significantly:

I have now fired up my trusty old free Sky router (DG834G re-flashed to DG Team f/w), and the (probably more reliable) stats are as follows:

Downstream
Connection Speed - 11003 kbps
Line Attenuation - 26 db
Noise Margin - 14 db

Upstream
Connection Speed - 928 kbps
Line Attenuation - 6 db
Noise Margin - 6 db

So my downstream has improved by about 8-10 db and the upstream by well over db???

I dont know why, but i would like to know if anyone can advise?

Anyway, basically i want to take advantage of this, but my router still syncs at 11000 each time.

According to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php i should be able to sync around 17600 with this line.

What should I ask my ISP (the most excellent ADSL24) to do to try and re-train the line?

Cheers all

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Jan-12 19:20:24
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

The problem there is the downstream noise margin, which I would expect is causing pretty well all of the loss compared to a more usual 6dB.

You haven't said which ADSL24 package you are on, some are set at 9dB rather than 6dB. Could you tell us please?

It seems clear the stats from the other router are incorrect smile.

With the one you are now using you can tweak the sync-time margin down, so then see what can be achieved and whether or not it is stable. I would suggest a quite aggressive tweak initially, which could bring it down to around 6dB or 7dB. Please read and post the stats immediately after re-sync'ing with that setting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 12-Jan-12 20:00:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The problem there is the downstream noise margin, which I would expect is causing pretty well all of the loss compared to a more usual 6dB.

You haven't said which ADSL24 package you are on, some are set at 9dB rather than 6dB. Could you tell us please?

It seems clear the stats from the other router are incorrect smile.

With the one you are now using you can tweak the sync-time margin down, so then see what can be achieved and whether or not it is stable. I would suggest a quite aggressive tweak initially, which could bring it down to around 6dB or 7dB. Please read and post the stats immediately after re-sync'ing with that setting.

My ADSL24 package (setup in Nov 2009) is "LLU ADSL2+ Home Special".

When you talk about "the one you are now using you can tweak the sync-time margin" are you talking about my router? Can you tell me where/how to do this (especially whether I increase or decrease the values!)?

When the line was first set up there as some instability, so (from what i can remember) i logged it with ADSL24 and they (increased/decrease?) the margin in order for my router to sync at a slightly slower speed and since then i can go a week or more without a disconnect.

Will my changing my router config not be impacted by that?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to