General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hellish
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 13:00:06
Print Post

Canceled sky broadband, new line is with bt,transfer number?

[link to this post]

I have two active phone lines. One is with sky which I have canceled. The other is with BT which I want to keep active.

I want to transfer my old sky number over to my active BT line. However having rung BT found out this is not possible.

I am simply staggered I cannot transfer my sky number over to my BT line.
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Fri 13-Jan-12 14:09:49
Print Post

Re: Canceled sky broadband, new line is with bt,transfer num

[re: Hellish] [link to this post]

I read a post recently where someone wanted to do the opposite to you and was told emphatically that the BT number couild not be taken to Sky. The poster pestered and spoke to the right person who agreed the number could be moved. Took a couple of weeks from what I remember. So, if a BT number can be moved to Sky, there must be something to allow Sky numbers to be transferred to BT surely?

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Fri 13-Jan-12 15:13:33
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Phone line numbers are different to other ports as a number is "pulled" by the new supplier - with only a signed authorisation form to do so. There is no MAC/PAC system in place for telephone numbers.

Adam
Sky Max LLU

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-12 16:08:29
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

I think the problem is replacing the existing numbert on the BT one with the Sky number. I don't think it can be done even with two BT Retail lines.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-12 16:10:04
Print Post

Was/Is it a Sky LLU phone line or WLR3? Was the line originally with BT and moved to Sky, or was it installed by Sky?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Hellish
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 16:32:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The line was originally with TalkTalk. Before that it was with BT. I believe the TalkTalk one was full LLU.
Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 18:14:51
Print Post

This should happen. It has been a requirement for many years as a result of EU competition law. Landline, mobile, BT or LLU, it doesn't matter.

Ofcom's General Condition 18 for the Communications Act 2003 as applies for fixed lines:

18. NUMBER PORTABILITY

18.1 The Communications Provider shall provide Number Portability within the shortest possible time, including subsequent activation, on reasonable terms and conditions, including charges, to any of its Subscribers who so request.

18.3(b) ...porting of these numbers and their subsequent activation shall be completed within one business day once all necessary validation processes have been completed, the network connection is ready for use by the Subscriber, and the Donor Provider has received a request to activate the porting of these numbers from the Recipient Provider.

18.4 ...the Recipient Provider shall request porting from the Donor Provider as soon as it is reasonably practicable after receiving the Subscriber Request to Port from its new Subscriber.

In short, you must ask BT to port the number over. BT must then ask Sky. They then are duty bound to do the port.

You just need to get through to the right person maybe, the only provider I know of with reports of regularly trying to flout their duty is TalkTalk.
Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Fri 13-Jan-12 18:50:20
Print Post

If you have already cancelled the Sky line, then you may not be able to transfer the number - you have lost control of it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-12 19:58:39
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

It isn't proven to be about number portability. It's more likely to be about changing the number on a line which is currently in use.

As I said, I don't think even with two BT lines that you can move the number from one to the other.

That has been discussed a few times here. People with one good line and one bad one, but the bad one has the desired phone number and only one line is needed for the future.

I think the only circumstances BT will change an existing number is an extreme case of harassment type phone calls, and even then that doesn't involve a number transfer, just a replacement.

Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 20:25:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It isn't proven to be about number portability. It's more likely to be about changing the number on a line which is currently in use.

As I said, I don't think even with two BT lines that you can move the number from one to the other.
Yes, I did read your post. Being a different line is irrelevant, because a change of provider can involve a different line either out of necessity (eg Virgin Cable) or out of consumer choice. The only potential sticking point is if BT refuse because this is not a new subscription, in which case some escalation or quick cessation of service might be necessary to save a valuable number.

BT to BT is a different case and is not covered because you are not dealing with different providers.

Edited by vimto_girl (Fri 13-Jan-12 20:26:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to