General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ra102342
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 12:57:05
Print Post

Broadband problems with Orange - HELP

[link to this post]

Hi, Having real problems with Orange regarding my my mother's broadband connection. She's in fixed term contract with them unfortunately!
After a few days of intermittent problems her Broadband has now stopped working altogether! Some of the lights are on (but not the 'online' line). I've tried a different cable and filter (from my system so I know they work), also tried these all from the 'test' phone socket in the main phone box by the front door, still same problem. What is strange is if the router is plugged into the filter all the phones in the house don't work, they all work fine if we unplug the router from the filter.
Tried several calls with Orange technical help, very long and frustrating, they end up saying we need to call BT, however we're 'all -in ' with Orange so would they be BT be interested in helping?
Any advise would be very welcome! Thanks for reading!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:44:17
Print Post

Re: Broadband problems with Orange - HELP

[re: ra102342] [link to this post]

If voice line rental is paid to Orange as well as broadband rental, then it is for them to liase with Openreach

Have you accessed the routers web interface to see what the stats are? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php shows how to get them for most routers.

Connection speed, attenuation and noise margins are the figures that would be useful.

What you need to do is eliminate all the phones and wiring, i.e. when using the test socket with no filters and just a phone in there, is it the case that no other phones in the property work?

If that is the case, then plug a filter in, and check the phone when plugged into the filter works, then plug the ADSL modem into the ADSL side of the socket. Does the phone still work?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ra102342
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:08:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Apart from the main phone socket, she only has one other phone socket/phone. If I plug the phone into the test socket without filters etc they're both fine. If I then plug the filter in they still work fine. It's only when I plug the modem in that the phones stop working!

The broadband doesn't work whether the phones/filter are plugged in or not, some of the modem lights are on but not 'on line' light!

Thanks for your interest, will check that stats site.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:16:55
Print Post

Possibly the modem has failed in a manner that means it breaks the phone.

Got another modem you can try, even if it does not authenticate (logon) with Orange, it should sync (i.e. ADSL light).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:16:57
Print Post

Have you got another router you could try? Depending on what broadbands you both have, you could even try yours, even without altering the login settings for it.

That will show if it is the router at fault, and may also provide line stats. It will probably connect to the exchnage but not to the ISP.

Before you do that, just a precaution. Which ISP and package is she on, and what are you on. Just a few ISPs may auto-configure the router to their line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ra102342
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:31:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Will try this evening. I'm with Sky and she's with Orange, not sure on the packages off hand but will try and find out.

Cheers again for your help.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:36:37
Print Post

I think that is probably safe enough to try.

(Obviously she is with Orange. D'oh!)

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Jan-12 22:27:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by ra102342:
What is strange is if the router is plugged into the filter all the phones in the house don't work
Are all the other phones filtered individually? You only talk about "filter" in the singular!

Did no one else notice this? frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 17-Jan-12 22:28:13)

Standard User ra102342
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 19:58:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi All

We finally managed to persuade Orange to send us a new modem, low & behold....it all now works fine!!!

Thanks for all your advise.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 23:22:40
Print Post

smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to