General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 16:46:08
Print Post

Very strange loss of internet

[link to this post]

Got a really strange issue here that even my ISP dont know what going on

Basically for the last 3 nights around 9:30pm my internet goes off and the internet light on my router turns red. Wont reconnect, but after 2 hours it suddenly comes back on. Last 3 nights its happened at exactly the same time give or take 10 mins. My ISP - ADSL24 - dont know what it could be but are investigating it, no outages reported at all when they check. They suggested its something in my house thats faulty and interfering with the signal, but i cant think what is on for just those 2 hours? Beating/boiling is on way before 9:30 as they suggested that, same with lights. Ive heard of interference cutting out your connection, but mine refuses to reconnect at all during those few hours. I even turned everything in the house off (heating, tv, all lights) and it still wouldnt connect.

My line has recently be enabled for 21CN (ive not been put on it yet tho), could this have an effect?

Here are my connection logs

15 Jan 2012 23:25 16 Jan 2012 21:21 21 hrs 56 mins

14 Jan 2012 23:23 15 Jan 2012 21:26 22 hrs 3 mins

12 Jan 2012 19:33 14 Jan 2012 21:49 2 days 2 hrs 16 mins

Any help would be appreciated. Even if my ISP send out BT what can they do unless they come out at 9:30pm? Rest of the time my connection is solid

Thanks

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 17-Jan-12 16:46:41)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 17-Jan-12 16:51:39
Print Post

Re: Very strange loss of internet

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

A neighbour using an arc-welder, or a generator in a garden next to the BT pole ... interference can be outside your property.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 16:55:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Nothing that i know of. I live quite close to the exchange so would hear something like that. I might have a wonder to the exchange tonight tho and see if i can see anything.

Cant see many people using stuff like that tho at 9:30pm to nearly midnight

ISP said my connection attempted arent even hitting the BT server

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 17-Jan-12 16:56:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:15:33
Print Post

If it is "not hitting the BT server" - that says it is not even getting to the exchange - if the problem was past there then there would be a lot more complaints!

Can you download Router Stats Lite and run that from now until after it goes off ... it will show if any noise problem is instantaneous or builds up slowly. Set it up for 30 second updates and grab a screen shot a little while after it fails.

M H C

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:19:11
Print Post

Yea ive used that before, will set it running now.

So could REIN problems effect my signal getting to the exchange? Also to completely knock my signal off and not allow my to reconnect at all, would it have to be something transmitting a fairly significant electrical noise? So tree lights couldnt cause a total loss for example
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:19:34
Print Post

More likely to be something external, have a chat with the neighbours and see if they have recently brought something new, just put the heating on or changed the timer on something etc

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:26:29
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

When you say neighbours, are we talking just the neighbours next to me where my phone line comes into the house? Or could anyone living near the line between me and the exchange be causing issues?

Gonna try the radio thing that Kitz recommend by setting a radio to MW see if it picks anything up

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 17-Jan-12 17:26:55)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:29:40
Print Post

Tree lights certainly can, and do.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:38:20
Print Post

Certainly those next door and the next few, but if it is a really noisy generator for example then it could be well down te street.

I had one example a couple of years back. A "burger van" owner would go out in the evening and one day his broadband was hit, either dead or just hanging on and his neighbours were the same. It would come back at around 1:00 AM. He parked his van in a lay-by every evening, put the generator outside and worked for the night. Then, the council asked him to move to the other end of the lay-by and that is when it started. Unbeknown to him, the other side of a fence was the BT cabinet and he was hitting it with a large level of RFI. Moved the generator about 10meteres and everything improved - not perfect but way better, and a longer cable finally sorted it.

M H C

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:43:01
Print Post

wow, didnt know it could have such an effect.

Im assuming REIN could be the only answer here? I cant see any exchange or other line issues being the cause when the times are very similar
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to