General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Tue 24-Jan-12 23:20:03
Print Post

Normal?

[link to this post]

Just a quick question,
I emailed BT Business - My provider for broadband after BT Residential fixed a noise error at the cabinet for my line in december and asked if these stats on the router were ok and i received a phonecall with a nice rep and he said that it was an excellent line,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.0 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 12.2 db 25.0 db
-Netgear DGN2200-
My downstream noise margin used to be around 8-10 db so could the noise fault (now fixed) have affected it? although sync was still the same and is the downstream noise margin normal?

Thanks

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 23:48:09
Print Post

Re: Normal?

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

As you are on an "up to 8Mbps" BT Wholesale connection the highest possible connection speed is 8128kbps. [tick]

Attenuation 24dB is a fairly short line. [tick]

The standard connection-time noise margin on your type of service is 6dB. But ...
... if you have a shortish line like yours, during the connection process it rises to the level it would need to be to limit you to 8Mbps if you were on an "up to 24Mbps" service. [tick][sort of]

So you have a shortish line, and the original high noise margin that is even higher now some fault has been fixed is even better. [tick]

The "sort of" is because I'm not quite sure that the noise margin shouldn't be even higher. (A calculator I tried to check with seems to be bust!). Please can you do a reconnection well inside daylight hours when in the mood, and post stats taken immediately after it connects. That gives the most accurate info about your line.

You may have a less than optimal wiring setup at home. Have a read of my Noise margin page for more information, and browse my Troubleshooting section, (ignoring obviously irrelevant pages), to see if there is anything there that is not good in your setup. smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-Jan-12 23:48:45)

Print Thread

Jump to