General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-12 16:43:14
Print Post

BT Phone Problem

[link to this post]

Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, apologies if I've git it wrong.

Our BT land line gets to house underground emerging into a fairly standard BT external connection box. Out of there come a cable totalling perhaps 0.6 metre to the one and only connection box in the house. The cable and internal box was fitted by BT about 3 years ago.

Yesterday lunch time went to make a phone call, no dialling tone. Broadband (Eclipse on 21CN) working fine. It's a DECT cordless phone so I powered the base station down and up. Still no dial tone. Tried ringing from my mobile, got Number Busy.

So I went next door, their BT land line working fine. Borrowed a corded phone, still no joy. Took the front cover off the socket and connected corded phone to test socket, no dial tone.

Went back next door and rang BT faults, during the initial automated stuff it does a line test. In due course I got through to a helpful human. After a few moments he arranges an engineer visit for Thursday morning, having warned me that if it is my equipment then I pay - I knew that hence the testing.

Went back home to find the land line now working. As if the automated line test had somehow 'rebooted' the voice side of the line (non-technical description grin ). Ring BT to cancel the engineer visit but ask them to hold the fault open for 48 hours "just in case".

Happened to notice that broadband was up and down all afternoon and seemed slow. Tried the phone again and noticed considerable crackling over the dial tone, no need to do a quiet line test. Tried again with the corded phone and using the test socket. Still crackling.

Rang BT again this morning and have an engineer visit now on Friday morning.

At no stage during any of the calls to BT did I mention broadband, it seems clear that it's a straightforward line fault.

Checking my router found the downstream connection speed was around 2000-4000 kbps compared to the usual 8000+ kbps. Presumably degraded by the noise. Also the connection only seems to be lasting 1-2 hours before dropping and reconnecting.

Is this all symptomatic of an HR Fault?

Hopefully they'll find the fault on Friday and resolve it.

Tony
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jan-12 17:14:01
Print Post

Re: BT Phone Problem

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, apologies if I've git it wrong.

Our BT land line gets to house underground emerging into a fairly standard BT external connection box. Out of there come a cable totalling perhaps 0.6 metre to the one and only connection box in the house. The cable and internal box was fitted by BT about 3 years ago.

Yesterday lunch time went to make a phone call, no dialling tone. Broadband (Eclipse on 21CN) working fine. It's a DECT cordless phone so I powered the base station down and up. Still no dial tone. Tried ringing from my mobile, got Number Busy.

So I went next door, their BT land line working fine. Borrowed a corded phone, still no joy. Took the front cover off the socket and connected corded phone to test socket, no dial tone.

Went back next door and rang BT faults, during the initial automated stuff it does a line test. In due course I got through to a helpful human. After a few moments he arranges an engineer visit for Thursday morning, having warned me that if it is my equipment then I pay - I knew that hence the testing.

Went back home to find the land line now working. As if the automated line test had somehow 'rebooted' the voice side of the line (non-technical description grin ). Ring BT to cancel the engineer visit but ask them to hold the fault open for 48 hours "just in case".

Happened to notice that broadband was up and down all afternoon and seemed slow. Tried the phone again and noticed considerable crackling over the dial tone, no need to do a quiet line test. Tried again with the corded phone and using the test socket. Still crackling.

Rang BT again this morning and have an engineer visit now on Friday morning.

At no stage during any of the calls to BT did I mention broadband, it seems clear that it's a straightforward line fault.

Checking my router found the downstream connection speed was around 2000-4000 kbps compared to the usual 8000+ kbps. Presumably degraded by the noise. Also the connection only seems to be lasting 1-2 hours before dropping and reconnecting.

Hopefully they'll find the fault on Friday and resolve it.
Sounds like it,I f the adsl is wholesale based then their DLM will of increased the target snr which will result in a lower sync rate as well as perhaps lowering their stupid profiling system as well, these you will most probably have to get your isp to reset to resume your previous sync speeds once the fault/s been fixed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jan-12 17:19:40
Print Post

ADSL will work over just one wire, but slower, so probably one of the two wires become disconnected, e.g. HR fault, bad joint.

Then something changed and it was re-made so phone works, but the issue is on the verge of breaking again. Unplug all the ADSL kit and filters and if still noisy then I'd suggest leaving the ADSL kit unplugged while the engineer is there. This avoids it being 'blamed'

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-12 17:33:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was still crackly when the corded phone was plugged in the test socket, and no ADSL or anything else connected.

But good suggestion to ensure PC et al is all powered down.

Tony
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-12 17:33:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It's on a 21CN line, don't know whether DLM works the same way.

Tony
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 25-Jan-12 17:37:57
Print Post

More likely to be a loop/rectified loop, as you also say
Tried ringing from my mobile, got Number Busy.
If it were dis/HR dis, you would probably have got ringing tone - even if the telephone didn't actually ring.

My guess is a wet joint somewhere.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jan-12 17:39:04
Print Post

It's on a 21CN line, don't know whether DLM works the same way.
I guess you will find you soon enough, hopefully it will re ajust it's self within a very short time frame back to what it was previously, or better ,without the need of intervention by the isp
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jan-12 13:12:39
Print Post

The nice man from Openreach came this morning.

Although I couldn't hear crackling yesterday he could hear it after doing a ring back test. Their automated testing indicated a loop rectifier problem which can be caused by damp given a partial short. Anyway he checked the crimps in the outside box and found they looked a little strange and remade them all - slightly intermittently as we had a hail storm at the time so a warming cup of coffee was welcomed smile.

Ran all sorts of further tests but could no longer get any noise on the line and all the tests from the exchange were showing good. After about 45 minutes he left pretty confident he'd cleared the fault, he admitted though he couldn't be absolutely certain.

Ultimately time will tell.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to