General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Jan-12 14:13:10
Print Post

21 v 20

[link to this post]

What are the pros and cons if any of ADSL1 on the 21CN compared to ADSL Max on the 20CN as they are both up to 8Meg?
Unfortunately I have a long line (60dB) to the exchange.

Henry
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 14:21:00
Print Post

Re: 21 v 20

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Which exchange is it please? On most you will already be on ADSL1 through 21CN (ADSL profile on WBC or WBMC to be correct), or IPSC on 20CN/21CN hybrid.

In most cases your best bet will be an ADSL2 profile on WBC/WBMC, rather than ADSL2+. (Whether it is WBC or WBMC just depends on how your ISP collects the traffic at their end. Doesn't affect you).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Jan-12 14:21:42)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jan-12 14:37:12
Print Post

ADSL1 on 21CN will have same Down speeds but will probably have higher Up speed.

However you may find ADSL2 faster on long lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Jan-12 19:17:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm just curious it's just a newbie sort of question.

There is no word of the exchange (rural) becoming 21CN probably as there are less than 300 premises going through it.

Henry
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:42:26
Print Post

On a 60dB line, check your Ring/bell wire. Fixing that can make a substantial difference.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 20:48:42
Print Post

Client of mine has had a choppy changover to 21CN due to router incompatibility. Now using new router on a 20CN profile on the 21CN network.

Same download speeds as ASDL1, but upload had gone from 0.37 Meg to 0.9 Meg. Frankly unless there's a doubt of faster speeds due to line length or problems, I can't see any advantage to ADSL1 on 21CN network. Price difference perhaps? Wouldn't think so.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Edited by camieabz (Thu 26-Jan-12 21:21:33)

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 21:00:27
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Im due to change over next week, and would like to stay on the service im on (8mbit is fine for me), and changing to ADSL2+ sounds like it can make the line less stable. Got this email from my isp

We are pleased to advise you that your line will soon be upgraded to the BT 21CN platform.

The provisional completion date of this 21CN upgrade is 1st Feb 2012.

Once this upgrade has completed you will be able to regrade your service to the ADSL2+ frequency, potentially offering higher speeds at no extra cost.

Does that mean i will stay on ADSL1 on 21CN, or are they likely to automatically regrade me once im on it to ADSL2+?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-12 21:10:45
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Most ISPs initially put you on an ADSL(1) profile, (G.DMT), on WBC/WBMC, (21CN is a misnomer), then at some stage automatically up you to ADSL2+, (G.992.5).

Most people benefit, so you hear nothing on the forums. A few find it can be unstable, and if it is the best option is usually to ask the ISP to change it down to ADSL2, G.992.3, rather than all the way back to G.DMT.

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 21:20:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers. What considered a stable line anyway? Ive seen some people post stats showing their connection up for weeks at a time. Think mine loses sync every 1-2 week, reconnects automatically straight away. Not sure why, but seeing as it rarely happens doesnt bother me
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-12 21:23:38
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

If it stays synced for more than 24 hours then thats stable.

An ISP is only going to really look at a line as unstable if there a many resyncs in an hour

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to